New "Cobra Kai" trailer: the Karate Kid is a car salesman and Johnny is still a prick

you aren’t wrong. In #2 he becomes the victim as well when his sensei starts beating on him for losing to Daniel.

6 Likes

“Buncha wangless dorks?” Seems they shill for ze masculinitie toxique!

2 Likes

Lord help me, this actually looks like something I want to see.

5 Likes

It looks like more midlife crisis…

1 Like

I really like how this appears to be running with the “Daniel was the jerk” interpretation but is also Actually-ing it by examining why Johnny is definitely a jerk, thereby creating a show that appears to be about why these two men still haven’t quite grown up.

(Kreese, as you’ll recall, was more than simply a jerk: he was abusive. I hope they do right by the boys and don’t waste him here with a cheesy cameo.)

6 Likes

This sounded like a terrible idea last month, and it still sounds terrible now.

My opinion hasn’t changed.

8 Likes

The vacant lot next to Daniel’s Reseda apartment building is recently no longer a vacant lot.

South Seas and the lot to the right

Pass. Really, a PASS.

5 Likes

Pat Morita would’ve been the only reason to watch this :frowning:

4 Likes

Mine has. I’m even more excited now than I was then about the time I’ll save not watching this. :grinning:

I can’t stop Hollywood from trashing my childhood in search of the almighty reboot dollar, but I’m not giving them my eyeballs to abuse.

“God willing, we’ll all meet again in Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money” ~ Yoghurt

6 Likes

And it’s on YouTube Red; fuck all that noise.

If I wanna feel some nostalgic pangs, I’ll go back and rewatch the original instead of two grown ass men desperately trying to rehash their former glory days for a quick buck.

Also, I realize I should have lead with this:

No Pat Morita means NO Karate Kid, period.

4 Likes

But with this premise, this new Karate Kid wouldn´t be a great show?

But I doubt they would do something bitter like that …

It’s official; I’ve been on the internet way too long.

I honestly can’t tell if that was sarcasm or a serious comment.

5 Likes

I am sorry. But I would like to see a show like this. No comedy, no generic action movie with superheroes. A nice bittersweet drama about normal people. Ok, not normal, just two guys living their crazy daydream in a real world.

I think something like Bojack Horseman…

1 Like

Okay, you were serious. I genuinely wasn’t sure.

Carry on.

1 Like

Honestly. In the annals of TV-dom. The idea of bringing back Daniel and Johnny is one of the least offensive things out there. IMHO anyway.

It certainly has to be less egregious than Logan Paul or Dantdm or any other YouTube stream garbage. Maybe I’m old and just not hip to things.

I haven’t delved deeply into it, but from a few comments I saw (elsewhere) I got the impression this might be motivated by the same sort of sentiment that lead to that offensive Heathers reboot. Everyone likes a good a-hole character in a show now and then… but with things the way they are these days, especially in U.S. culture at large, I worry we’re seeing a new crop of media aimed at subtly promoting bullying behaviors, hypermasculinity, and white supremacy in general. Or at the very least, marketing itself toward those who hold those ideals.

Hopefully I’m reading too much into this, though.

1 Like

Can someone explain why Johnny is an a-hole now?

I mean even back then…he’s a bit dickish yes, but not any more than the average well-to-do privileged teenager.

1 Like

Perhaps a little inspiration from this as well?:

2 Likes

Part of the joke seems to be that he’s not an anormous asshole, just a bit of a prick.The whiff of permanent adolescence under a performance of adulthood. Beating up teenage vandals, MRA-ish pep talk for kids, humiliating an old foe in public – the trailer doesn’t quite give you enough context to know if they’re really being jerks, and the trailer knows it. It’s a good trailer!

A lot of this show’s appeal will depend on whether they get the level of asshole right. If Johnny is genuinely bigoted or abusive, or Daniel genuinely hypocritical or gross, it will be a bad show because only bad people will truly sympathize with them. If they stay behind the lines or even carefully manage character arcs that dip across them, maybe it’ll be a good one.

4 Likes