New crypto currency JRR Token wants to be the "one coin to rule them all"

Originally published at: New crypto currency JRR Token wants to be the "one coin to rule them all" | Boing Boing

Can I put it in my pocketses?

21 Likes

So, a number of these are going to be given away, in the same way that Sauron gave away the lesser rings in order to enslave and control the Elves, Dwarves and Men of middle-earth. They’d better release proof that this won’t turn you into a Nazgul before anyone will accept that offer.

14 Likes

Good thing that the Tolkien Estate is not so litigious they would sue the creators out of existence

20 Likes

So Saruman was like a central bank trying to impose a fiat currency on Middle Earth and the Fellowship of the Ring was like a bunch of Libertarian crypto bros?

It has been a long time since I read the books, but all that macroeconomic shit went way over my head when I was a teen. Or maybe I just wasn’t stoned enough?

3 Likes

So all crypto needed was a half-decent pun and a toxic overlay of racist and misogynist bullshit? Still nope.

I mean… a Nazgul looks pretty bad ass… It would kill every Halloween.

I’m willing to take my chances.

As a Tolkien fan who firmly believes cryptocurrencies are, at the very best, a wasteful and useless boondoggle, let me say “Hell no.”

5 Likes

Will this be the next big one!? Throw some money in and find out!

1 Like

so these are Tolkien tokens?

2 Likes

Saruman wanted to control the one ring, while the fellowship wanted to throw it into a volcano. Does this mean that the end goal is to destroy all cryptocurrencies to save the world, or have the creators fallen under their seductive power like Boromir did?

10 Likes

They probably believe in that oxymoronic anarcho-monarchism idea that Tolkien talked about

4 Likes

Just reading about hype (i.e. scam) coins, and it turns out the thing they needed to gain attention was a good name… Though I have to say, I hope the famously litigious Tolkien estate actually does sue, for once.

4 Likes

Later on when the founders have disappeared with a big chunk of money and the value has plunged deeper than the Mines of Moria:

7 Likes

i don’t know much about crypto, but even i know that one of the rules is not to invest in meme coins and shitcoins.

2 Likes

Tolkien a few times mentions people who delight in complex machines for their own sake, even though they create pollution more than do anything useful. They’re not generally the good guys. The good guys are more into things like not having the natural world destroyed.

4 Likes

15 Likes

The unspoken rule is that all crypto coins are meme coins or shitcoins.

2 Likes

US proposes tracking digital cash and taxing it to pay for, you know, roads and stuff

1 Like

seems like the SEC and Goldman Sachs disagree with you on that one.