New doc examines how The Simpsons' Apu character affects Indian-Americans

Yes, agreed.

I find that if you do a Welsh accent it’s really difficult not to end up doing an Indian accent.

Correction request submitted!
HomerSimpson

6 Likes

Wow! Racism pisses people off? Who knew?

4 Likes

Think of all the damage done by the accents in Fargo!

I think that people need to watch out for the temptation to conflate race, nationality, and ethnicity when addressing issues like this. Otherwise we risk comparing apples and oranges. Like if we speak of Apu, an Indian character (nationality) being played by Hank Azaria, who is white (race). I find it more helpful and nuanced to try keeping to ethnicity, because that seems to be where a lot of cultural distinctions are.

And Doctor Hibbert is voiced by Harry Shearer who is not Black. When casting voice actors, I’m not entirely sure “authentic” ethnicity is really the primary factor.

I’m not surprised that some may take offense about Apu, but anecdotally, I’ve got Indian American friends who find the character hilarious.

I wish someone would stand up against the negative stereotype from Homer’s portrayal of me, the fat, balding family man trying muddle through life.

I should have stay home on the farm, should have listened to my old man

and raised tomacco plants

I’m sorry, you aren’t Apu and I’m not Homer.

The Simpson’s are the quintessential snowflake test; if it bothers you, the you may be a snowflake.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that

2 Likes

So you’re saying members of minorities who object to stereotypical depictions of their group should just shut up and suck it up?

4 Likes

Can we stop with the “My Indian friend says” thing?

http://everydayfeminism.com/2017/03/black-friends-excuse-for-racism/

8 Likes

He’s a troll so he can go suck it up

Wouldn’t that actually be regionalism? I know that accents exist as regional traits, but never heard of them as racial characteristics. Especially over a telephone, where I don’t know anything about a person’s phenotype.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.