The Simpsons' Apu isn't going anywhere

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/26/the-simpsons-apu-isnt-goin.html

1 Like

Why do they keep making the Simpsons? I mean, it’s gotta cost a ton compared to other shows, I can’t imagine the ratings are anything special, and if the back catalog isn’t sufficient after 30 seasons I’m not sure what another 50 episodes is bringing to the table.

So why are they still making this soulless, crappy product at this point? Who is the executive or creative director who says “get me another season of the Simpsons!”

12 Likes

Young fan: And the reason you’re proud of a racist caricature is . . . ?

Groening: Because I’m Matt Groening. I don’t have to give reasons.

10 Likes

I have a feeling nobody actually wants The Simpsons anymore, but also nobody wants to be the one who finally killed an American classic. So on and on it goes, forever.

15 Likes

I suppose DJT would say that Apu should go back where he came from.

Which is enough reason to keep him.

10 Likes

The Simpsons are the American Cheese of pop culture. It’s consistently bland and we’re all sick of it by now but it’s still hard to stop.

american-cheese

27 Likes

Wouldn’t you rather have your sugar bag?

2 Likes

I love the Apu

5 Likes

That’s apt, as The Simpsons is not going anywhere either.

3 Likes

It is a Fox show. Nuff said.

2 Likes

Apu is more like a charicature of a racist stereotype.

I remember decades ago people talking like Apu, but they were North American white. I assume they were cooying from something, for some reason I’m thinking Peter Sellers playing an Indian man.

So I suspect (and I thought previously someone from the show had stated this) that Apu isn’t an imitation of a corner store clerk, but an imitation of white people stereotyping store clerks.

I would point out that Apu came to America to get a university degree, but somehow fell through the cracks. He is pals with Paul and Linda McCartney, and a secret vegetarian. He goes out of his way to show his wife how much he loves her. Probably other things.

So even if he’s a stereotype, he’s not one dimensional.

12 Likes

You can still be a fully fleshed out, multi-dimensional character that has many positive attributes and it’s still a stereotype relying on racist tropes.

It’s been nearly 30 years that the show has been on (let that sink in for a moment), we don’t need to keep perpetuating this racist stereotype.

7 Likes

I was such a huge fan up until season 12 or so. My roommate and I used to have entire conversations using only Simpsons quotes. I just realized that there have been more seasons that I haven’t watched than I have.

Weird.

12 Likes

I haven’t seen “The problem with Apu” can anyone give a quick rundown of the grievances (besides the hammed up accent and the quik-e-mart gig)?

2 Likes

This piece does a pretty good job of that:

16 Likes

Thank you for the concise text version.

If Groening doesn’t want to dump Apu, I wonder if a suitable compromise would be to bring on another character from India, one without the stereotypes.

4 Likes

Well, why not Apu’s son or nephew, who is born in the US and an investment banker bro. He is in Private Equity and wants to grow the QuickEMart brand. In the process, destroys it and makes out like a bandit by firing everyone and pocketing the real estate assets.

9 Likes

I think 15 years is the limit for something to still be culturally relevant

It was considered so edgy in 1992 that Poppy Bush denounced it in a campaign speech

Well that makes it better :roll_eyes:

On TV, people who never went to college don’t exist

A Hindu immigrant being vegetarian is hardly defying stereotypes

3 Likes

See? Just as i suspected :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Have they done an episode featuring Apu and Trump?