New documentary on elite athletes who went vegan

I have zero problems with vegans.

When hanging out with them, I aim for restaurants which would have possible options for them, out of courtesy (usually Italian, Chinese or Indian work well in most “dietary restrictive” situations).

Its just not a dietary lifestyle I could put up with. I love my dairy and seafood too much to give it up.

5 Likes

I’m with you. I grew up vegetarian (occasionally pescatarian). I doubt I could ever be vegan - I just love dairy too damn much. I could probably be vegetarian again (as long as I can cheat and eat an occasional filet mignon).

I regularly eat meat but I often feel conflicted about it.

This is basically all we need to say. Our sense of taste is more important than our sense of fullness. And that too should be respected, as it is fragile and can break. To quote Anton Ego in Ratatouille:

I don’t like food; I love it. If I don’t love it, I don’t swallow.

2 Likes

Do it! Don’t worry about labels. Any reduction of meat in your diet that you make is better for your body and better for the environment as well.

2 Likes

How about a nice Leberkässemmel from Vinzenzmurr then?

When I am in the mood, then yes. I will eat it with all of my taste buds. Most of the time, though, I prefer a banh mi from Bami House.

The one thing I miss is Bayreuther Bratwürste. The bratwurst in Bayreuth and Kulmbach are simply amazing.

2 Likes

Also adding to selection bias:

Thing a vegan must often say: “No, I don’t want that meat, thanks, I’m a vegan”
Thing no meat eaters really ever have to say: “No I do want some meat, thanks, I’m not a vegan”

2 Likes

I think that’s a very fair assessment of the variations of vegx diets. I generally call myself “vegan” for convenience, but I admit that I occasionally contribute to the oppression of the noble honeybee.

1 Like

There is a certain succinctness to “vegan” as a product label. You can be sure it doesn’t have dairy or egg whites or whatever in it. And to be perfectly honest the term vegan was originally coined to mean non-dairy vegetarianism. But the group who did coin it were kind of insufferable about their fundamentalist vegetarianism, so even the earliest vegans rubbed people the wrong way.

1 Like

I did have a colleague who was from Argentina who did not eat veggies of any kind. Sweet guy, but he was a strict carnivore. Which is why we always made sure to give him the vegetarian menu “by mistake”.

2 Likes

I think for most who get rubbed the wrong way, it’s veganism itself that does that.

Probably saved a lot of money on toilet paper.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.