New Girl Genius arc starts today

[Permalink]

I hadn’t noticed that after thirteen volumes and – nine years, is it? – they’re calling this the “second act”. Goodness knows there’s no shortage of loose ends left over.

Things got really confusing around Volume 5, and some of the arcs inside the castle were mighty slow-moving, but it’s still quite readable, generally.

Fun fact: did you know that the original BSD daemon was apparently drawn by Mr. Foglio?

2 Likes

Well, those of us who aspire to be superfans noticed that it started on Monday, but I’m still really excited!

3 Likes

I did not know that!

The PDP-11 on the original tshirts is pretty accurate, although the top logo panels ought to be purple.

1 Like

Loose ends left? Say again?

It’s very clear that Professor Foglio (at least one of them) has spent too much time around software development, because the number of loose ends is converging towards zero on about the same curve that bugs in software do. Which is to say, exponentially. No promises on the sign of the exponent.

1 Like

Yup, and no offense to whoever was doing the interim comics, but they were close enough in style, yet not quite right enough that they hit some sort of “really wrong” sensor in my brain. Kind of like if you see a Mickey Mouse that’s not drawn quite right.

1 Like

Since the adventure was supposed to be a non-cannon sort of thing, I strongly suspect that may have been intentional. An immediate visual queue that you’re looking at a story of a story, and not something that REALLY happened within the story.

All things considered, I thought it worked rather well!

1 Like

It wasn’t that it looked different. It was perhaps that it looked different, while not really looking different enough. The jarring effect if they had all been chibi characters would have been less disturbing IMHO.

Is it possible to enter uncanny valley for comic characters…?

That being said, it was indeed a fun sideline while waiting for the return of the “real” GG comics to resume.

1 Like

I felt that for the first episode or two that Christopher Baldwin drew, then I grew fond of his style and had mixed feelings when his tenure closed so soon. All good though.

1 Like

The Steelhead sims in Second Life are loosely based on the “gaslight fantasy” world of Girl Genius. We have mad science, we have Jaegers in schnappy yooniforms und nize hets, and the Baron… Well, he has his own sim, Europa Wulfenbach, but he comes to all the best parties. Also we’ve got werewolves, elves, neko, Tinies, furries, and steampunk fae.

Group info is here, there are group joiners near access points in Steelhead City, Steelhead St Helens, and Boomtown.

With the new story arc starting up, looking forward to seeing new roleplayers and residents turning up inworld. There’s some roleplay and weekly events in Europa Wulfenbach and Winterfell, too - including poetry slams at Der Hut des Jaegers.

Anyone new to Second Life and interested in checking it out, suggest you join via the link to the Caledon Oxbridge University access point, it starts with an excellent intro to getting around in SL, with friendly people in a newbie-friendly Victorian setting.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.