New iPad Pro amazing for work, but iOS not up to the job

I’m lucky I don’t have to use it for work, but I’ve had largely the same experience.

3 Likes

icloud

You can backup your whole iPad to your computer so you CAN have a local backup of your stuff but:

1. Then you need a computer other than the iPad so you could just use that in the first place and;
  2. You can’t just save individual files easily for backup, you have to do the whole iPad.
1 Like

I’m sure this is your experience but the many, many people I know who use iPads and iPad pros for their work (mainly art and selling things based) say it’s not a general case.

Also, I read this post and thought it was the exact opposite of “promoting” an Apple Product. He seemed pretty unhappy with the overall experience.

2 Likes

I work for State of Utah Dept. of Heath. Sure, for small environments or personal business they may work, but not when you have thousands of employees needing to access medical records. HIPPA, PII, PHI, etc compliant data. iPads need to be set up with an iCloud account which makes them even more difficult to shoehorn into a big business (or government) needs. Using a Windows domain along with MDM for all mobile devices makes it even more difficullt. Our customers use their iPhones for state email, but they want to use iPads for accessing secure websites using state infrastructrue. It’s far more difficult to make them work safely and correctly than Windows devices. Basically, when a customer tells me they are looking at getting an iPad, I just sigh and tell them, just get a Surface. It’s easier and more secure for us as IT employees, our customers and the public.

2 Likes

Interestingly, when a friend of mine was in the hospital recently, every nurse was carrying a tablet. They were in some seriously industrial looking cases, so I don’t know what brand they were, but they were definitely using them for medical records.

Apple’s actually been pushing very hard for medical record reform to make their devices HIPPA compliant while giving patients access to their own data in a secure way. They’ve been at the forefront of security across the board so it’ll be interesting to see if they can actually make some headway.

2 Likes

What it means is that four days in five I can work with my iPad; on the fifth I crack on with my laptop. I just decide what to take with me each day.

To borrow an old Apple metaphor, I can ride a superbike from Monday to Thursday, and on the fifth I run errands in a souped-up SUV.

I do agree that it’s not appropriate for everyone, and I couldn’t live laptop-free - but I am grateful for the iPad-only days. Mouse support on iOS (easy, and only Apple’s obtuseness stands in the way - years ago I had full mouse support on a Sony android tablet) would probably tip me over the edge.

Two points: MS Word has been available on iPad for a lot longer than the iPad Pro has been available, and has been a very credible alternative to desktop for a long time. If you haven’t tried it I think you will be really surprised at how powerful, familiar and usable it is; and
Have you tried the Affinity apps as an alternative to photoshop? Their iPad Pro apps are pretty great, and Adobe is really playing catch-up on mobile devices.

2 Likes

Sorry, that’s just flat out wrong on so many levels. Great if it doesn’t work for you; for others it’s the perfect tool for the job they are doing. Everyone’s work and context is different.

iPad and iOS is not perfect, and it’s arguably silly that it’s intentionally crippled; but that doesn’t mean it’s a toy.

2 Likes

Correction: apps have access to the file system, but only to files within the application’s sandbox. There is a feature called “App Groups” which allow applications to access a common shared directory somewhere within the file system; shared folders are identified by a kind reverse domain name: “group.com.adobe.cs.shared”, so theoretically a non-adobe app could register for the same app-group and immediately have access to all of those locally stored files (which could also be backed up to iCloud).

But so far, companies do not seem to make those App Group identifiers public. It seems like a they really ought to – it would be a good thing for their apps and a good thing for the platform.

This seems like an ideal solution for pretty much anyone who works with files. Unfortunately, the Files.app and the underlying UIDocumentBrowserViewController technology would simply not be up to the task – it’s broken and barely working on a good day. I’m sure somebody has written a GitHub extension to interface with the Files.app bric-a-brac, but I would imagine 9 out of 10 times it doesn’t do what you’d want it to.

On a complete side note, a few years back the Product Owner was thinking “we need undo!”, and for awhile we were seriously contemplating a git solution. But things went badly for the project before we ever committed (npi) to undo, and it was mothballed.

That said, I’ve heard people talking about building cloud solutions on top of git. So long as you can come up with a viable conflict resolution process for whatever media you’re working with. Having an entire change log for a project could certainly be a very powerful feature for creative professionals.

1 Like

I just want to use this as a portable Cintiq.

maybe a Motion computing-device? they are known for their nice rugged (win)tablets and are often used in the field and in hospitals:

https://www.xploretech.com/us/

bought their J3500-tablet-computer with an i3 from 2009/10 which cost at the time about 2000$ at ebay for 150 euros(!); very fine machine with an integrated Wacom Cintiq(!) with (batteryfree) pen and regular touchscreen together.

i dont need that overpriced apple-BS, and sorry but I cant get over it why people still buying apple-products. they dont care about customers, they only care about their own greatness and the fucking money. I just wait for the day when louis rossmann gets the first ipadPro with overheating-issues and loose solderball-chips.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Computing-J3500-i5-520UM-4GB-160GB-TOUCH-Camera-Fingerprint-WI-Fi-Rugged/163178025061?hash=item25fe2b1065:g:q4AAAOSwGotbYG3j

yes, cintiq included. and yes, you can upgrade the RAM and SSD pretty easy. and no, this bidding isnt mine, I just searched for 10 sec on ebay.

then what? so, it can do more, but its intentionally crippled?!? doesnt sound like a pro-machine then, but rather like a “toy”, right? granted, “simulated pro-machine” works also as description, but that doesnt make this any better. (yes, I admit I am an apple-hater. I worked in the early 90tis at apple-europe in munich, maybe the experience was just too traumatic.)

1 Like

I’ve been using Apple products professionally for around 25 years and I find them to be extremely high quality with excellent return on investment with far higher-than-expected customer service. My current desktop is still working beautifully after 11 years, my laptops have usually lasted 6-8 years apiece, and their tablets and phones have terrific longevity compared to my friends’ Android devices. Nothing I buy from them is “overpriced” in my opinion.

That’s a much more expensive tablet computer than Apple sells. About twice the price. But, sure, Apple products are the ‘overpriced’ ones.

4 Likes

Um. Not right. The opposite of ‘not crippled’ is not ‘toy’, and the opposite of ‘crippled’ is not ‘pro’.

I’m a pro. I’m highly computer literate, and I run a successful small business. I regularly use my iPad to work, faced with a choice of a laptop, desktop, phone, printouts, pencils, post-its, and everything else available to me on a daily basis. From experience and consideration, the iPad is often the best choice for me.

For the life of me I’m not sure why people like you are so intent on telling me that I must be doing it wrong.

9 Likes

Yes, it looks like it.

5 Likes

It’s amazing to me how much some folk can know about one’s own profession, work requirements, and deadlines just from a momentary search on the internet.

3 Likes

Do you still have to use iTunes to backup/sync an iPad Pro?

Cuz I avoid that shit like the plague with my phone… It always seems like something is lost when I do… I know it’s because I’m an idiot or something, but I’m thinking the “pro” product should come with a better solution than iTunes…

I’ve actually been toying with the idea of moving exclusively to my last-gen iPad pro for day-to-day work. Almost everything I do is in-browser, or in a Terminal window. I rarely need to interact with files, so my “workflow” avoids most of that issue.

Probably the biggest deterrent for me personally would be the lack of a good network inspector setup for browsers. Otherwise, I’m pretty much living in Safari/Terminal/Slack from a workflow perspective, all of which are acceptable in iOS.

6 Likes