New iPad Pro amazing for work, but iOS not up to the job

twice the price? a 2009 machine with that specs and a friggin Wacom cintiq integrated? sure. besides, you can drop it from 1.5 meter and it wont even blink. tried it.

searched for a specific machine, and took the second bidding. so?

no, you can back up to iCloud directly. no need to use iTunes on a computer for backup and sync for iPad or iPhone.
You do need an iCloud account though.

1 Like

…Yes? An iPad Pro (with better than those specs, which is a professional-quality drawing tablet, like a Cintiq) is half the price you quoted.

3 Likes

I am sorry? an iPadPro from 2009, yes?

02%20PM

1 Like

you seriously compare an iPadpro from 2015 with iOS with a rugged/magnesium-inner-body win7-tablet-computer and integrated cintiq from 2009?!? well, whatever…

The fact that it probably wasn’t Einstein who said that “everything should be made as simple as possible; but no simpler” really doesn’t change its applicability to this situation.

Well, no. I’m comparing a brand new, current generation iPad Pro from 2018 to a far-less-powerful tablet from 2009 which cost twice as much nine years ago. But feel free to keep imagining that Apple products are the expensive ones.

2 Likes

So your result wasn’t what I wanted. And I’m not surprised, given the effort.

1 Like

Am I misunderstanding the documentation, or would knowing the app group identifier only be of use to me if my app included it among its entitlements(and didn’t get shot down for doing so)?

I can understand why that might be the case, at least by default; if it isn’t the effective protection afforded to an app group’s files would essentially just be a lousy password(the group name); but if it is it would also make the mechanism markedly less useful as a general purpose access tool: needing the app vendor and/or Apple’s blessing won’t do 3rd party access any good(especially in the cases where it might be most desireable, like tools that compete with the weakest elements of a given vendor’s bundled ecosystem); and having to update and re-submit every time another app whose files your app could usefully manipulate comes out would get clunky fast; significantly spoiling the party for utility apps that do useful things to specific classes of file rather than being focused on bolting on to one specific app group.

I’m not really sure how one would deal with this without introducing a permissions control interface whose messy complexity would not go over well in Cupertino.

No, you don’t need iTunes - but if you don’t use it you need to be all in with Apple’s cloud services. Don’t want to sync with your computer? Better be sure you have enough iCloud storage for all your pictures and backups, and iTunes match to mirror your music library unless you’re 100% on Apple Music.

1 Like

Isn’t it a totally innocent coincidence how iOS’ FileProvider mechanism offers enough to allow 3rd party storage/snyc vendors to interact with 3rd party(and some first party, at least in part) apps; but is notably different from(and notably less capable than in a variety of places that matter) the integration that iCloud uses?

I suspect that the original plan to deliver an agnostic implementation of network storage backend abstractions was beaten down by insurmountable technical difficulty, even as they battled heroically to save it. That’s definitely how it would have gone.

1 Like

Right, so iTunes is the only option without using iCloud.

And you’ve gotta pay to get the full amount of storage, and probably use iTunes anyway to cover everything… Ugh.

Thanks, no thanks!

Don’t get me wrong though… the iPad’s still a great product for lots of applications- just doesn’t quite cover all the bases for me (nothing does unfortunately).

Well yeah you’re absolutely correct. I guess App Groups are typically used to provide a suite of apps written by the same developer to share a common directory in the file system. This provides both file storage and other utility, such as proprietary interprocess communication.

But since you can register many of these, then I don’t see why creative graphics applications wouldn’t be able to set up one common file space that they share in common using a common ID. But yeah, this would all hinge on whether the Mother Ship maintains a database of shared group IDs and would allow shared groups between potentially competing vendors.

That would be cool. I remember trying to look for it in the App Store, but finding so many Word adjacent things.

Do you need a subscription service for it to work?

I used to work for the DoD, and right before I left the big issue was all the higher level execs switched to iPads. They seemed happy and functional. We have secret clearance so they managed to work that out, I can’t imagine HIPPA would be harder.

Our issue is that they couldn’t get us second monitors, better computers, or spare cords for our laptops, because they were “broke” but bought all those across the board. Jerks!

They don’t block use of other cloud services.

Hint: It has little to nothing to do with computers or technology or even anyone other than those who make such a big deal about it themselves, and their innate insecurities…

Or Apple could just do the obvious thing and provide one.

1 Like