New Jersey Congressman got down on his knees to pick up trash after Capitol insurrection

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/08/new-jersey-congressman-got-down-on-his-knees-to-pick-up-trash-after-capitol-insurrection.html

12 Likes

Apt metaphor for the Democrats taking power in Washington.

23 Likes

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2015/10/27/mike-dukakis-picks-up-trash/

4 Likes

The word “servant” is so loaded with race and class implications, particularly when applied to a person of color. But I’m going to plow ahead with pre-apologies and hope that I can make my musings clear without offending.

This man seems to grasp what the concept of a “public servant” truly means. He’s engaged in the humble act of cleaning up other people’s messes for the simple fact that there’s a mess, and a functioning society needs it to be cleaned up. Every single legislator who is physically capable and is not out there with him should be ashamed. And the word “servant” should be seen as the highest of compliments.

19 Likes

I just wish the optics were not also ‘yet another POC cleaning up after White folks’ messes.'

15 Likes

This is what leadership looks like…

10 Likes

Kim is a good man, ran clean campaigns and displaced a republican asshole in his district. I’d like to see him move left and join the progressives, but hey, his district was red two terms ago.

15 Likes

This is what real classy looks like to me.

Yet again Democrats have to clean up after MAGA messes.

This is a good congressman. I wish him success and the best of luck. This is someone truly serving his constituents.

10 Likes

Trash, or crime scene evidence?

2 Likes

19 Likes

Right? When one Rep posted a video showing how his office was trashed (don’t remember who it was now), my first thought was, “why isn’t the FBI swarming the building right now and cataloguing every single inch?”

There were also cigarette or joint butts littered all over which seems really important considering:

To the rioters’ credit, I would have never had the foresight to bring boxes of pizza to eat while attacking the capitol.

1 Like

I weep.

Thank you, Representative Kim.
Thank you, NJ voters.

Thank you, people who give a damn, who have no ego issues, ready to help and be a helper in a nonviolent, constructive way.

Thank you, bOINGbOING, this is a wonderful thing.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.