New Jersey sheriff kills self at restaurant

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/24/new-jersey-sheriff-kills-self-at-restaurant.html

7 Likes

That’s awful; especially for the unfortunate cleaning crew.

19 Likes

Well I guess that’s an admission of guilt in that beating and probably a lot more that will come out.

Fuckin’ horrible for everyone involved at the restaurant though.

13 Likes

Not to entirely gloss over a tragic loss of life, but I was fully expecting the newspaper headline to be something along the lines of “Sheriff dead after officer-involved shooting.”

20 Likes

I know that area a little. That’s awful.

5 Likes

Why the intense police response? “More than a dozen police vehicles were within a block, including from Paterson police, the Sheriff’s Office, Clifton fire and Clifton police, all with their lights flashing. Nearby streets were blocked off. Two helicopters hovered above the scene, flanking the restaurant.” Or are they saying the town is so small a dozen police vehicles were already that close before the gunshot? If I was into conspiracy theories or a screenwriter of a thriller I might think there was something fishy going on. Or perhaps it’s just badly phrased.

6 Likes

Home to incredible Middle Eastern food! Love me some Al-Basha!

1 Like

Clifton has 90,000 people, so it’s not that small, but that part of New Jersey is full of a bunch of suburban communities crammed in tight right up against each other. You have Clifton, Passaic, Hasbrouck Heights, Garfield, Nutley, Montclair, Paterson, Wayne, etc., just all right in a relatively small area. And each of those places has their own police and fire departments. Assuming one of the first calls coming in mentioned it was the Passaic County Sheriff, I’m not surprised a bunch of departments responded.

9 Likes

Culturally insensitive. There shouldn´t be pork at a turkish restaurant.

7 Likes

What an asshole! He could have done the job at home or in his patrol car, but instead he chose to do it at a restaurant that probably has to close down for cleaning, and probably traumatized a number of staff and patrons.

6 Likes

Well it’s off the menu now. And all over the bathroom walls instead.

2 Likes

Geez, how bad was the food?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.