Los Angeles County Sheriff doubles down on a baffling self-own

Originally published at: Los Angeles County Sheriff doubles down on a baffling self-own | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Villanueva is as big a clown as Baca was corrupt. Both put the “less” in “lawless”.

20 Likes

What little I’d heard of the guy made me think he was an idiot, but this just confirms it. Christ, what an asshole.

23 Likes

i guess if we extend that to crime in general what he’s saying is: cops can’t prevent crime.

so when people say: shootings in ( insert any major city here ) are up, we need more cops to protect us… the proper response is:

“That’s up to the family member to understand and make those risk assessments on an individual basis.”

23 Likes

Not gonna lie, it’s refreshing to hear a public official say “don’t think of the children!”

8 Likes

Seems worse than that. Basically saying, “We can’t enforce the law. It’s better that people make individual assessments and decide for themselves if they’re going to commit crimes.”

8 Likes

that sheriff needs to stay in his lane. leave the science to, you know, scientists.

8 Likes

He’ll go far in life, far away from me.

5 Likes

I read somewhere else that the main reason he was taking this stance is because he’s pissed off about funding cuts so he’s basically saying, “if you’re going to cut my funding then I’m not going to enforce your mandates.”

“Protect and serve”?? Yeah, riiiiiight.

8 Likes

Yea, it’s not their “duty” to protect anyone.

“the duty to provide public services is owed to the public at large, and, absent a special relationship between the police and an individual, no specific legal duty exists”.

8 Likes

and

This same sheriff’s department has said it will enforce the law against the criminalised homeless, in order to justify its funding. The department is betting that making choices about which laws are worth enforcing and which aren’t will pay out in the end.

8 Likes

He is right in that you have to be careful about which 12 year olds to expose yourself to. Something that quite a few people on the right seem to need to learn.

2 Likes

To be fair, he’s just stating the facts. Cops aren’t there to promote public health or protect the safety of citizens. Cops are there to protect the property and serenity of the wealthiest. I’m sure he’s genuinely confused why anyone would think otherwise.

3 Likes

That is almost exactly their public statement on Twitter, but it is also a lie. The LA Sheriff’s office had a budget increase. They are choosing not to enforce public safety laws as punishment for criticism. This is standard police procedure.They instead suggested it fall to the health department, whose budget actually was cut. We defunded a health department in the middle of a pandemic to give more money to cops who refuse to enforce the law unless they are given complete unquestioning deference. https://twitter.com/LASDHQ/status/1416163930213212161 Actual budget document https://ceo.lacounty.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/2021-22-Recommended-Budget-Book-Volume-One-Final-Online-Version.pdf Key pages are 95 and 435.

8 Likes

What a pig.

[Sorry, actual pigs.]

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.