New journalism series highlights the simple mundanity of transgender healthcare

Originally published at: New journalism series highlights the simple mundanity of transgender healthcare | Boing Boing

2 Likes

— which, among other things, means we both discovered the NOFX song “My Vagina” right around the same time. Back then, I found the song interesting ; shocking and edgy and vulgar with an underscoring of humanity, in that way that NOFX often was. For Stratis, however, it opened her eyes to a world of possibility:

Holding up Fat Mike as the face of women’s lib

2 Likes

Been on HRT about 45 years. Never had a single problem. Except not being able to afford care.

6 Likes

About 18 years for me, with some off periods when I couldn’t afford it, and when I was prioritizing getting sober. Also no issues. I can remember being really scared about the social aspects of transitioning, and both my therapist and my doctor telling me that I wasn’t going to have any problems in that regard. And they were right. After I fully transitioned, I kind of said, “Oh. Huh. I probably should have done this sooner.”

7 Likes

HRT did me good, the stuff I took before that, not so much.

In all these years, or decades, depending on how you score it, I never regretted coming out. Most people don’t.

We regret assholes treating us badly for doing it.

8 Likes

I had a whole rant in here about Fat Mike but I decided to delete it because it detracted from the point (and I figure most BB readers won’t care anyway). I just thought Niko’s piece was good. Like a lot of Fat Mike things, I think that song in hindsight was simultaneously radical and progressive, and also kind of creepy and trollish. But if it had a positive impact on some people, who am I to take that away from them?

2 Likes

:raising_hand_woman:

4 Likes

:raising_hand_woman:
Me too.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.