New journalism startup loses Climate editor over Chevron sponsorship

Originally published at: New journalism startup loses Climate editor over Chevron sponsorship | Boing Boing

We control the vertical! We control the horizontal!

3 Likes

“Semafor adheres to robust ad acceptability guidelines that are industry standard,”

Well there’s their problem right there. The industry standard for advertising stinks on ice.

"We decided to part ways with Bill due to issues that were unrelated to any advertising partnership.

BS. Bill Spindle parted ways with Semafor because they’re allowing a major contributor to the climate emergency – one that spent decades and millions of dollars denying it through media outlets --to sponsor coverage of the climate emergency.

They’ve barely gotten underway and they’ve already lost credibility.

8 Likes

Came to quote the same egregious text

We decided to part ways with Bill due to issues that were unrelated to any advertising partnership.

Hey, Semafor, you do NOT get to decide - indeed, to contradict - what someone else’s reasons for leaving were.
They might as well have said “after he resigned, we sacked him”

3 Likes

I mean, I suppose it’s possible that Spindle and Semafor hit an impasse: that he was so loud in his complaints about the Chevron sponsorship that HR said “This is becoming an issue,” and basically gave him an option to shut up or leave. In which case — as far as the bureaucracy is concerned — his departure had more to do with an internal HR issue. Publicity problem solved!

1 Like

Yeah, sure. But show me an ‘internal HR issue’ that isn’t actually about something else. :man_shrugging:

And even if it was an HR issue, it certainly was NOT

unrelated to any advertising partnership.

3 Likes

Bill will find his way to the Koch sponsored Axios in no time at all.

You know, because of their climate “concern”.

Why not take the money, then write a series of articles about quite how scummy Chevron are?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.