New laws are forcing Canadian drug dogs into early retirement

Often the dogs handler get to keep the dogs when they retire. They form a close bond after working so much together.

2 Likes

Hopefully he can avoid the Canabliss system :stuck_out_tongue:
Brass Eye is Tv gold! I make a point to spread this Episode.

https://youtu.be/MIAJemmO-bg?t=507

(I’ve completely lost the ability to make youtube links a picture?)

3 Likes

I was really expecting to read about either animal welfare laws or new early retirement standards forcing veteran drug dogs off the streets, leading them to become Private Investigators who fall in love with the bitch who comes in the door to hire them…

6 Likes

If one dog, guarding one border crossing finds $5,000,000 worth of dope… How big an impact on drug trafficking is the War on Drugs having?

1 Like

Lucky, they didn’t realise that you were actually counterfeit. :wink:

1 Like

How exactly do you envision that process? Someone who smells like they have product but doesn’t smell like they’d just handed over their credit card?

1 Like

Word problem: If the government says a dime bag is worth $500, how many grams of weed does a dog have to alert on before we see $5M in a headline?

3 Likes

Okaaay. I mean, I have a few ideas on how not to train a dog to detect marijuana. Or am I not reading this right?

I guess the old saying is true… once you start sniffing drugs, you can never go back to sniffing bombs.

1 Like

Are you allowed to collect the rain that falls on your land for use on your land? IIRC there was some policing there also? Colorado is weird.

Or the drug dog who, the day before retirement, stumbles across a huge stash of weed.

Sample quote: “I’m 65 in dog years. I’m too old for this shit.”

2 Likes

Exactly - just like any obviously fallible technique, those dogs are a free pass for your local Barney Fife to shake you down, search your shit and rob you of your rights.

This is great news for users of marijuana products normal citizens

We can only hope those dogs won’t have the lavish retirement pensions of the typical LEO. Now how about permanently retiring a few hundred thousand more police/TSA/Feds?

So did the dogs pick the right week or the wrong week to stop sniffing marijuana? :slight_smile:

reminds me of a story my grandfather told me: he worked at a shipyard, they had a foundry, and a lot of used casting sand that workers could take home for fill or whatever, if they needed sand. So his friend would leave the gates with a wheelbarrow of sand every once in a while, and the guards really thought he was up to something as he would always smile big at them, and they would poke the sand to see if he was stealing tools or whatever, hiding them in the sand. He was stealing wheelbarrows.

3 Likes

I was thinking the same. The dogs don’t care, they will find loving homes and owners i hope. The only ones that will be affected are the police, and honestly they have better things to do than harass people over marijuana.

2 Likes

Seems he told that story to a lot of people.

3 Likes

Oh noes! Does that mean they will still have dogs reacting to MJ after the deadline, or they will have no dogs and all the drugs will be free flowing?

Will Canada survive? The world is watching.

Last I checked, no we are not. I recall it was due to contracts or something made with California requiring us to not impede the flow of the spice. I mean the water.

1 Like

Oh, yeah, I hardly think it was about him and his friend!

1 Like

It is a Globe and Mail article, @SeamusBellamy, not a CBC article!

I’ve heard of buffet restaurants that use food sniffing dogs to catch people stealing food instead of paying for takeout. That job sounds like more fun!