New laws are forcing Canadian drug dogs into early retirement

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/26/new-laws-are-forcing-canadian.html

4 Likes

Make do make do make do make do

11 Likes

Link from this Cracked article.

8 Likes

ITYM “make do.” Make due would be when you move up a deadline.

Of note that there’s no stories coming out of Canada about how drug legalization is a horrible thing that will force the cops to murder their drug dogs.

12 Likes

Imagine the embarrassment of getting narced out by your own family pet.

11 Likes

13 Likes

Imagine the embarrassment of finding out your dog is a bigger junkie than you are!

4 Likes

6 Likes

Meanwhile, in Colombia: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-44965951

New laws are forcing Canadian drug dogs into early retirement

I want that dog’s problems.

13 Likes

The hell with early retirement, I just want to retire before I’m too old to enjoy it!

8 Likes

“I won’t sugar coat it, this dog’s life is in danger, so we’re taking him in to witness protection. He’ll be living under under an assumed identity with a new owner.”
Cue title John Wick 4

3 Likes

I don’t think the dogs are worried. By the look of that photo, retirement means rolling around in all the cocaine you’ve netted.

6 Likes

hopefully only “cops” will lose their jobs. LEOs can stick around

1 Like

I’ve a lot of friends and contacts in the law enforcement community. Cop isn’t a dirty word for them, at least not up here.

Is it synonymous with a loose cannon down there?

3 Likes

It’s not universally a derogative, at all, but yes, more or less means the ones who are out for arrests.

1 Like

These dogs could still get jobs at the dispensaries sniffing out shoplifters.

7 Likes

It’s not right that they have to retire cold turkey. You’d think they’d be allowed to taper off.

5 Likes

Here in CO, growing your own marijuana is legal only if you grow a small amount and only if you don’t sell it, so there’s still plenty of policework to arrest people illegally growing a legal product… so bizarre.

I don’t know why they even bother having the dog around. Just tell suspects “my imaginary friend says you have drugs, that’s probable cause”. Just as reliable, less hassle.

I was stopped by a Border Patrol agent once who told me he was absolutely certain, based on his 20 years of experience, I was carrying contraband. He brought out the drug dog. Surprise! The dog alerted. Or at least, the handler of the dog - who was a colleague and apparently a friend of the guy who stopped me - said that he alerted. Couldn’t exactly ask the dog myself.

They took 45 minutes going through my shit, falsely telling me a couple items were illegal and grounds for arrest (but they’d overlook it because they’re such nice guys), and came away with nothing, because I was carrying nothing.

4 Likes