New Layout?

I’ve noticed that the “Show Full Post” links in the initial BBS posts no longer actually show anything.

7 Likes

10 Likes

Came here to say that too. So many more clicks required to go anywhere on this site, and unless you’re on a monitor with multiple screens open you can’t read and comment intelligently (because you’ve actually RTFA) without looking like you’re playing an action game.

As for having only pictures on the main page, well, SOME OF US STILL LIKE TO READ ACTUAL WORDS, you know? And yes, I am shouting. Also swearing, so be glad I’ve restrained myself to merely using caps.

Basically, it feels like a rift has been cut between the blog and the forum, as if they really don’t want an active comment section anymore. And clicks. It’s definitely about the clicks, I think.

14 Likes

Ahah, I will add it

2 Likes

That … yeah, that is savage. Wow, impressive!

2 Likes

2 Cents:

I don’t mind the layout and actually like the font and color choices. My two main gripes:

1. I never came in through the main page. I used /page/1. Why? Because I don’t want to miss any wonderful things. Not sure what algorithm you are using to determine what gets displayed or where, but if I miss one relevant topic that I don’t get to post a witty comment about my quality of life will go down.

ETA - /blog seems to be what I was asking for, yes?

1. I’d appreciate more than just a head line. I don’t need the whole article, and some times it was annoying when you have a huge article display vs just the first paragraph or so, but just more than one sentence would be nice. Perhaps make it pop up when you hover over the headline or image?
3 Likes

That’s the one!

I came here to echo this sentiment. I have little to no interest in ever clicking on something that is only a pic and a headline. Over time this kind of design just leads to more and more clickbaity headlines. Just a little more info with a “read more” link is what works best. At least it’s what gets me (and I bet many others) to spend more time on your site. Thank goodness we have alternate links

7 Likes

Seems to me that the content is not the same on the blog as it is on the new home. There are articles on the home page that are not (yet?) on the blog. I used to be a /page/1/ user and now that’s gone - not really happy with the new layout. I actually find it easiest to go to the BBS and navigate from there. What does it say about the design that the easiest way to read find content is to go to the discussion first? Not a good change in my opinion. But then, I’m a crank. And cranky. And someone actually did pee in my coffee this morning. Ah, parenthood. :smile:

4 Likes

So let me get this straight.

In order to find a blog view, I have to come to a separate site that only hosts comments. Then I have to look for a post related to the redesign to find the /category/post and /blog pages because the page/1 link has changed without warning. Then, I can’t figure out how the /category/post and /blog relate, some posts are on one page and some on both.

How is this not considered broken?

15 Likes

Or “we don’t understand mobile!”

Mobile isn’t just about screen size. For the vast majority of us it’s about bandwidth caps and fees. Any page made up of image after image after image, some of them animated for extra bandwidth suckage, either doesn’t own a mobile device, or has a company-paid cell-phone contract, or perhaps a mobile device user killed their dog.

5 Likes

FYI, it hasn’t updated all day.

4 Likes

I thought the same thing! I found boingboing.net/blog which is almost like the “page one” version, although the headers are in smaller fonts.

Why must they keep mucking around with things??

5 Likes

@beschizza
Is it just me, or does the blog not seem to be updating as often as the front page?
The newest article on the blog seems to be the whale breaching onto the kayakers, yet the front page has a bunch more new articles.

6 Likes

needs modem-synching sound effects. and blinkenlights.

5 Likes

cmon, isn’t there some ascii art generator for the images :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

This has borked the ‘Show Full Post’ buttons on the forum, too.

Sometimes nothing comes up, sometimes the post does with some subsequent ones too.

4 Likes

Keeping up with the trends/fashions/kiddies? @beschizza was bored and wanted to rile us up?
As I have read BB for years via rss feed I really don’t notice. The /blog view is nice and what I like the most, and /ascii is awesome but then I am old and remember a pre WWW internet.

The new layout of the main page is nicer but I don’t like the headline only thing.

1 Like

Thank you for caring about my quality of life.

1 Like