New Layout?

You know, I’ve heard there’s a method of department store design that makes the store as confusing and labyrinthine as possible, because lost people shop more. They say Ikea has perfected this, so that some shoppers never get out at all.

In a breakthrough move, BoingBoing has ported that technology to the web.

20 Likes

/blog/ is nearly as usable as /page/1 but I miss the “read more” at the end of a post when the article is no fully shown on the front page.

5 Likes

In one aspect, /blog has a great design change. Having the author and comments link at the bottom of the post flows a bit better.

I can’t count the times per day I’ll see a headline in blogview, decide to skip the BBS link, read the blurb, scroll back to the comments link because it was actually interesting, then scroll back through the post again. Most small posts it worked fine, but some of the longer Wink or gallery posts could mean a bunch or scroll wheel.

Plus now I can go back to playing the mental game of trying to figure out who wrote the [earnest|alarming|maker|clickbait|smartass|animal-related] headlines. (Default guesses: tossup, tossup, Mark, tossup, Rob, Xeni). We love you guys though, and thanks @beschizza for listening.

4 Likes

currently Making while brown is displayed in /grid but neither /blog nor /category/post

caching issue on my side? some arcane but reasonable rationale I don’t get?

I’m confused :smile:

5 Likes

My brain in completely fried, the grid is the best layout option so far but it still misses out some articles that are shown elsewhere. At one point I found the article “making while brown” now I can’t find it again.

I’m all for responsive layouts but I just don’t get why there isn’t just one place to find all posts. I’ve found tons of items looking around today that were posted over the last week that I’d not seen before, although I always used to visit the main page WTF?

2 Likes

Currently the best chance is probably the RSS feed : D

2 Likes

Mobile?

So, does this mean the promoted ads that always occupied the #2 space are gone? Also, are you trying to alienate us?

2 Likes

something to do with horses, perhaps?

The /page/1 is dead
Long Live category/post/page/1

3 Likes

Excellent - thanks. Much better than /blog/, with its ‘novelty’ font and the grey placeholders where ads have been imperfectly removed.

ALL CAPS HEADLINES?

8 Likes

The new designs seem to mainly be motivated to increase clicks so I think is somewhat accurate.

1 Like

http://boingboing.net/ascii

Look what you made me do, you disgusting savages.

33 Likes

I probably have an offset wrong somewhere (a la “show posts before 30 on page 1, show posts after 30 on page 2”)

1 Like

An actual original basic websafe font from when that was a thing, as used on Boing Boing from 2001-2007.

Now the websafe fonts are novelties! Websafe!

I saw a hip party invite the other day in html link blue in Times New Roman, carefully pixelated to be like a 1990s academic website.

4 Likes

DESIGN

YOU MAY GET YOUR WAY ON HEADLINE CASE

ROB BESCHIZZA
1 Like

Bookmarked!

5 Likes

I don’t see forums, unless I go to search first, and then it’s listed on the next page. But I don’t see it in the menu.

Just to clarify, I meant in the /blog view