New live-action "Haunted Mansion" movie planned at Disney

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/28/new-live-action-haunted-mans.html

1 Like

I hope this happens, but I wouldn’t count on it. A new Haunted Mansion adaptation has been in development Hell for the last 15 years, most recently with Guillermo Del Toro at the helm. We Mansion fans have learned to be skeptical.

The Eddie Murphy version was just the right amount of kid friendly, although I’d have loved to have seen it based on more of the HM lore. But with what Disney has managed with PotC, and a pretty sharp Jungle Cruise coming out (a movie, based on a ride, based on a different movie), I certainly have some hope.

2 Likes

Please no.

2 Likes

To date there has been exactly one good movie based on an amusement park ride, and that movie was Pirates of the Caribbean: the Curse of the Black Pearl.

I wish Disney would just accept that these rides aren’t a great source of IP and move on.

4 Likes

True, but this documentary movie based on an amusement park is getting good reviews.

Maybe Disney just needs to embrace scandal and make a film about all the crazy stuff going on in Disneyland that they usually try to keep out of the public eye.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I had that record when I was a kid. I used to play it all the time. There were some extensive liner notes, IIRC.

I feel old.

1 Like

With the current economics of the movie industry, it’s grimly inevitable that studios will never learn their lesson about this. You would think the advantages of recycling old, safe properties would be offset by the obvious dumbness of basing a movie on something with no narrative element; but the fact is, even the Emoji movie made millions of dollars. If you spend enough making and selling a movie, then (until the bubble bursts) you’re guaranteed to make your money back. And if the movie is based on something contentless like a ride, or a novelty typeface, or an insurance company logo, that’s even better – it leaves the story wide open to incorporate promotional tie-ins with Burger King.

At some point, people will lose interest in spending $20 to watch a febrile 2-hour commercial in a barn that smells like a locker room, and the whole setup will implode. I am guessing that horizon has moved a lot closer this year. But I bet movie studios will give up on actual good movies long before they give up on movies based on rides.

2 Likes

Maybe this will be the dark and broody version? All those deaths.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.