New 'Looney Tunes Cartoons' are on the way

The yellow gloves are from the old 40s-era original Bugs Bunny cartoons.
1242303-bugs

10 Likes

I laughed, and my husband laughed until he cried, so I’m almost completely on board with this new iteration, the first that doesn’t try to reinvent the wheel but rather reintroduce it.

That said, as a few others have alluded to, this promo is just one (1) long gag. The trouble with ditching the fixed-length episodic format is that there’s no story here. Half of the hilarity was Bugs & friends committing a litany of gags in various scenarios, say, “Rabbit of Seville” or “Rabbit Hood.” I’m going to lose enthusiasm if it turns out to be just highlight reel-style gags. That was usually reserved explicitly for Wile E./Roadrunner shorts - huge fan, btw.

Similarly, I don’t know how I’m going to feel when they start speaking…

2 Likes

Needs 20% more Tex Avery, 10% less “Friz” Freleng.

2 Likes

Yay, the weturn of the waskally wabbit. :grin::grin:giphy%20bugs

6 Likes

Yellow gloves make Bugs look kinda grubby :grimacing:

3 Likes

Well so much for whatever’s left of a productive afternoon…

Not sure we’re talking about the same thing, but I have a couple of those – like 500 or more cartoons, now in the public domain, in a box of DVDs. Some disks will have several episodes from one series, while other disks are seemingly random. Anyway, it’s how I discovered Hoppity Hooper – which is relevant to this website.

(after 10m 54s)

I’m apparently in a small minority among Tom & Jerry fans, but I really like the Gene Deitch episodes, for example “Dicky Moe:”

Also, the important takeaway from these is to audibly hum to yourself, like this fellow, as you go about your business:

I wouldn’t claim that Deitch’s Tom and Jerry’s are the best. But I think Deitch also took the series in his own direction. I’d hate to see the new Looney Tunes become an ill-fated attempt to re-heat a soufflé.

I remember watching Tom and Jerry Kids in the early '90s. In one episode they used the Atari 2600 version of Donkey Kong for sound effects – they can’t possibly have had that low of a budget; seemed more like it was intentionally half-assed. (Slightly more on this subject)

On a related note, I miss splicing tape (& making loops etc.). Around the same time I was doing that, I was trying to build oscillators, ring modulators etc. on breadboards. Some snide asshole* asked, why didn’t I just buy a synthesizer? Well, where’s the fun in that? Also, I could afford to spend $10-20 on a breadboard and some resistors, transistors etc. – a synth, not so much.
*(our significant others were pals, so I couldn’t completely avoid him)

Same goes, I guess, for what Man Ray did with photography (and how he did it) vs. what one can do with Photoshop.

2 Likes

I do both types of work, because I like the different results. I love my old-fashioned analogue-style stuff but sometimes you want a quick fix to a problem. It isn’t always as much fun, though, nor quite as satisfying somehow.
Same with cartoons, sometimes the charm of the rough and ready is what you’re after, not a shiny new one. I’m still going to watch this and give it a go.

1 Like

Even the Hotel Transylvania movies, while being pretty brain-dead crowd-pleasers, are really well-animated. Genndy made an effort to go beyond the lazy tweening digital animation lends itself to, and deployed 2D animation techniques that aren’t the norm in CG to create distinctive expressive effects.

4 Likes

Oh ha! No the boxed set I got was an officially licensed warner brothers set. That’s what I mean that it’s weird that the episodes were jumbled up and not organized. At the same time disney was releasing the “treasures” sets of chronological cartoons with sets going from the Alice comedies to the 1950s tv show.

I did grow up watching those types of compilations on horrible quality 6 hour vhs tapes. Thats where I saw all of the old Fleisher brothers stuff as well as a lot of really old Warner brothers.

1 Like

Futurama-Fry

When I was a kid/young teen watching those episodes felt like I was stuck in a fever dream. They aren’t the worst that I can recall – the ones I disliked the most as I remember were very disjointed with weird reverb in the soundtracks – but lord they weren’t my favorites.

To each their own however.

I’d hate that too, but I would also hate something that’s just designed to capitalize on nostalgia yet lacks quality in the animation. There’s also the matter of who “the market” for these new episodes is. Last I bothered checking, the old stuff still holds up with kids these days. The newer stuff that’s riding on the coattails of the greats that came before, not so much. I guess we will see what happens.

Talking about this reminded me of a video I watched a couple weeks ago:

3 Likes

that was… perfect. i am thrilled.
heart eyes emoji

Not so big on Loony Tunes, but Animaniacs! Damn I loved them! Relatively high IQ slap stick, and if you weren’t careful you might learn something.

3 Likes

I still woves me some “What’s Opera, Doc?”

9 Likes

Animaniacs is awesome. Totally stupid and sharp at the same time, high energy and some almost-sneaky dirty jokes.
Where else can you get Hello Nurse puns next to a geography song?

6 Likes

Who, are a currently Warner Brothers property through a variety of reasons.

1 Like

To split hairs, he’s quoting Raymond Scott in that (Stalling used Scott’s themes in his music).

But yes, Zorn would be amazing. Good call.

2 Likes

We had a TV station in town that would play a half hour of Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons on given weekdays way back when. Many of the characters were originally voiced by Mel Blanc. What I don’t like about the newer cartoons is that you can hear the difference between the originals and the people voicing them now, which is off-putting.

4 Likes

We had one too, that had the host dress (not convincingly) as Freddy Fudd, Elmer’s cousin. He didn’t even try to act like Elmer. So dull.
He got replaced by Major Astro, a hard-drinking, chain-smoking (not on the show) host, who the kids nicknamed “Major Asshole”. We saw him often in public, but I don’t think he was really an asshole. Just maybe tired with life in general. He was thin and aged and wrinkled, so to me he was one of the astronauts in Lifeforce who’d had his soul sucked out by a space vampire.

2 Likes

They had a live kids’ show, on the same station, although it was broadcast in the morning. (Geez, the host, Ramblin’ Rod, even has his own page on Wikipedia.) Perhaps that’s why the station had all those cartoons on hand. The show in the afternoon was just back to back cartoons, which was fun.

2 Likes

At least they’re not gonna be afraid to roll out the dynamite.

No one’s saying “dear me, won’t this desensitize the wee ones to violence?” or if someone is, then no one is listening.