New 'Looney Tunes Cartoons' are on the way

But I’m guessing they didn’t trace the drawing onto cels, paint them on the back and photograph them. That’s what I mean. I draw comics myself and still prefer drawing on paper. And yeah it makes sense to do actual paintings for backgrounds. But cel animation - like actually using a clear sheet and inking a d painting a drawing onto it was always just a technological shortcut and that part is done way better by digital scanning and coloring and compositing. That doesn’t mean you aren’t still drawing by hand.

Maybe we’re having some confusion over terms. Hand drawn frame by frame animation yeah. That’s awesome and isn’t going away. Wacom cintiques May even replace paper but you still can have someone draw every frame. Cel animation, which I mean is actually painting on thousands of acetate sheets and photographing them on backgrounds I think is pretty much dead. It’s way too laborious and expensive and there’s really no point to it

4 Likes

Now that I’ve had time to reflect…it lacks premise.

A singing, dancing frog that only entertains its owner? A philosophical discussion of the appeal of Road Runner? Which is it…rabbit season, or duck season?

Give me a hook, man!

Dangit, now I’m hungry for some hassenfeffer.

13 Likes

I guess the disconnect here is I’m referring to the animating techniques, not the drawing techniques.

Which I see you agreeing with at the same time based on your edit.

And yet, I could see someone doing it for the challenge. You could take a helicopter to the peak of a mountain, but it doesn’t stop some people from wanting to climb it instead.

1 Like

Considering I was just confessing to running a roku through a 40 year old television on another thread today, I shouldn’t be talking about technology being obsolete and pointless. Lol.

4 Likes

I was just thinking of that.

Some seem to think the new Loony Tunes Show from 2011 had signs of promise.

3 Likes

The same Gendy Tartakovsky who created Dexters Lab, Samurai Jack, oversaw the original Powerpuff Girls and did a series of incredible Star Wars Clone Wars shorts (i’m sure i’ve missed some out)?

Are you judging him on the Hotel Transylvania movies? Or is there something i’ve missed?

10 Likes

It was smart enough to know that the kind of Loony Tunes mayhem in these new classic-style cartoons is great for a few minutes but would be exhausting for a half hour show, and took things in a completely different direction. And was often extremely funny and surprising.

eEqYSmP

7 Likes

I worked at a place that was producing commercials using the Loony Tunes characters, and the thing that stood out for me was that the pencil drawings were without exception, brimming with humor and character. Every frame of Daffy Duck, for example, was just ready to jump off the page and call you ‘despicable.’ This was a digital ink-and-paint system, so the drawings were scanned in with an autofeed scanner, vectorized, and then colored and composited with live action, but they started with hand-drawn drawings for the characters, and overlays for the tones and highlights. The production quality of the final product was considerably higher than some of the TV animation WB has done since.

2 Likes

This is fantastic news and that preview is great! It made me smirk. Smirk!!! :blush:

3 Likes

I even liked the Hotel Transylvania movies. Please, please, please let Tartakovsky never be found to be problematic like John Kricfalusi (Ren & Stimpy).

8 Likes

Genndy Tartakovsky has done more for expressive, cartoony, well-designed creator-driven animation than 99% of other directors/animators out there. There’s nothing “cheap” about, say, Samurai Jack.

11 Likes

I look forward to my 4k resolution “Bugs sawing off Florida”.

9 Likes

I watched the first one and it was fine but the TV shows i mentioned are straight up classics.

Talk about a series that has gone through some permutations. I would love to see more in the style of the Chuck Jones era.

I haven’t watched anything made since the mid-90s, so it’s possible I’m missing something good… although around then it wasn’t what I would call “good”.

1 Like

Dude, I’m 'a let you finish, but the Fred Quimby era Tom and Jerry cartoons are the best Tom and Jerry cartoons of all time!!

In my house, anyway.

5 Likes

Having two kids who get an hour of screen time per day (a.k.a. parental sanity time) you’re not missing much. My go-to show for them is Hilda or any nature documentary narrated by Sir Attenborough or Mr. Herzog.

1 Like

maybe the mouse has trademarked the white gloves?

1 Like

The yellow gloves are from the old 40s-era original Bugs Bunny cartoons.
1242303-bugs

10 Likes

I laughed, and my husband laughed until he cried, so I’m almost completely on board with this new iteration, the first that doesn’t try to reinvent the wheel but rather reintroduce it.

That said, as a few others have alluded to, this promo is just one (1) long gag. The trouble with ditching the fixed-length episodic format is that there’s no story here. Half of the hilarity was Bugs & friends committing a litany of gags in various scenarios, say, “Rabbit of Seville” or “Rabbit Hood.” I’m going to lose enthusiasm if it turns out to be just highlight reel-style gags. That was usually reserved explicitly for Wile E./Roadrunner shorts - huge fan, btw.

Similarly, I don’t know how I’m going to feel when they start speaking…

2 Likes

Needs 20% more Tex Avery, 10% less “Friz” Freleng.

2 Likes