New magazine all about restrooms publishes a growing list of bathroom codes in NYC and beyond

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/23/new-magazine-all-about-restroo.html

3 Likes

we even have horoscopes!

Capricorn:
Tomorrow you will have a nice poop.

2 Likes

Bloomingdale’s Outlet at 72nd and Broadway: push 2 & 4 at same time, then 3

Hilarious! This can only be a Unican 1000, the ubiquitous 5-pushbutton mechanical code lock. 2+4 then 3 is the factory default setting. They probably had it installed and promptly lost the instructions and change key.

3 Likes

Bathroom codes! You learn something every day!

I can just imagine: procedurally generated bathroom codes.

Bonus prize! Procedurally generated urinal cakes, because that’s my idea of funny!

http://gnomonchronicles.com/wiki/Procedurally_generated_urinal_cake

2 Likes

Next can they make a “Push/Pull” magazine that details whether or not unmarked doors throughout the city are Push or Pull?

2 Likes

This is a potentially very interesting subject, but I kind of doubt they will be able to sustain a print run for very long. This seems like the kind of thing that would be better handled by a blog.

A searchable database of public restrooms complete with door codes however is potentially a very valuable resource. Also the sort of thing that would work well with crowdsourced data. Especially in areas that are notoriously limited in public restrooms, like Burbon St. in New Orleans.

1 Like

I’m disappointed they didn’t call the magazine Sh_tt_r.

1 Like

my bathroom code is walking into a five star hotel, asking the where i can “wash my hands” (“see? I’m a germophobic wasp, I belong here!” being the unstated implication)

then i leave, never to return, having made my “deposit”

1 Like

“Bathroom Code” would be a great band name.

1 Like

Lol. When I heard ‘bathroom codes’ I was thinking something entirely different. More a form of speech/indicator to support a cottaging lifestyle (UK slang version).

1 Like

Jerry: Anywhere in the city?
George: Anywhere in the city - I’ll tell you the best public toilet.
Jerry: Okay Fifty-fourth and Sixth?
George: Sperry Rand Building. 14th floor, Morgan Apparel. Mention my name - she’ll give you the key.
Jerry: Alright Sixty-fifth and Tenth.
George: (Scoffs) Are you kidding? Lincoln Center. Alice Tully Hall, the Met. Magnificent facilities.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.