New mom zookeeper teaches orangutan how to breastfeed

Originally published at: New mom zookeeper teaches orangutan how to breastfeed | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I’m not crying :smiling_face_with_tear:

5 Likes

Uh oh. Something about this will piss off the conservatives.

5 Likes

Wow, what a beautiful story. Breastfeeding is the most unnatural natural thing ever. So many moms give up out of frustration because it’s often presented as something that should just come easefully and naturally, which is definitely not the case for a lot of lactating people (sorry for the clumsy wording, just trying to recognize that not everyone who breastfeeds is a “mom”). It is often humiliating, depressing and anxiety-inducing (and this isn’t projection, but direct quotes). Even when a baby is eager, getting them to latch, getting them to learn to pull their lips back (if they even can), getting them to stay latched, avoiding mastitis… it’s extremely fraught. The Twin Peas’ mom suffered and persevered in a way I can only describe ans heroic. The Little’s Peas mom struggled to produce enough for his hungry little body and had to supplement. It can be the most helpless, frustrating experience and it’s great that Whitlee is willing to be so frank and unashamed of her own struggles. Orangutan or human, that mom felt her inability to feed her child and hurt for it.

For anyone who is currently or plans to breastfeed I the future, I highly recommend speaking with your doula/midwife/doctor ahead of time and getting a lactation plan together. Attend lactation groups, if available in your area. The shame around struggling with breastfeeding is real, but you are not alone and all parents struggle in some way. We had a great experience with La Leche League in the Hudson Valley, though the organization at large has their critics. If that helps you, awesome, but just know that it’s not easy for most people, you’re not alone and those that have endured their own struggles are often eager to help.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.