New Orleans cops beat man up for being a "fake American"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/27/new-orleans-cops-beat-man-up-f.html

5 Likes

Get ready for the requisite gif;

33 Likes

Well, there’s no denying that these bullies embodied the very essence of America when they attacked him. True Americans indeed!

24 Likes

watch to about minute 10.

2 Likes

Sources told WWL-TV that the officers initially claimed that Gomez was the aggressor and that they were defending themselves, but witness accounts and surveillance video “clearly” showed their version of events was false, police said.

Why the air-quotes around clearly?

8 Likes

In announcing that 24-year-old Sutton and 26-year-old Galman had been fired, police said they and the FBI are investigating whether they violated Gomez’ civil rights, and a district attorney is reportedly weighing whether to enhance the charges.

Good. Bump this up to a hate crime please.

Also…last time I checked none of these retailers ask to see a Military ID or proof of service to purchase camo patterned clothing.

https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=camouflage&CQ_zstype=REG

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/products/camo-clothing.jsp

24 Likes

There should be a way to make sure cops like this don’t immediately get jobs in some other jurisdiction.

30 Likes

Well, that’s minor progress, I guess…if they don’t just go get jobs as cops in some other location.

17 Likes

A few years in prison and on parole could help.

19 Likes

I wondered that too.

I tried to search for the footage, i could not find it. Perhaps it has not been released publicly yet.

1 Like

Which is why I am hoping they bump it up to hate crime. If convicted of that, they would be unhireable. Though they could be elected to a sheriff position still.

Agreed…progress. even if minor.

3 Likes

I presume that they’re quoting the police saying “clearly”, but to drop it around that one word makes it seem like sarcasm.

9 Likes

I’m sure Trump will now be looking to pardon them and give them a cushy job

2 Likes

I would fucking hope so. Misdemeanor battery? How about felony assault to start, with some hate crime charges thrown in too.

12 Likes

tumblr_mhj5gzKg3X1r0t20mo1_500

9 Likes

They’re not air-quotes, they’re actual quotes. I take it to mean that it’s the actual word used by the source.

9 Likes

Let the people who are begging you to come to New Orleans know how you feel about their police.

21 Likes

Because we don’t know how to underline or highlight.

1 Like

…one count each of simple battery…

Are there varying degrees of complexity when it comes to battery? I guess this is the new thing I learn today. Is it determined by what you use?

“I beat him with a Rubik’s cube.”

“I’m afraid that if you can’t solve that cube in fewer than 6 seconds, we will have to charge you with difficult battery. You’re lucky you didn’t use the tax code; you would be looking at a life sentence.”

I also wasn’t aware that camo was the native dress of the Real American™. I’m going to resist that trend. Four years of looking like a bush was plenty for me, thanks.

Snark aside, I’m glad they didn’t get away with their bullshit.

Harrison said in a statement obtained by the paper that New Orleans officers "are expected to comply with the law and adhere to the highest standards of professional conduct, whether on- or off-duty."

Do you think? Were they aware of that expectation? Maybe it hadn’t been brought up yet…

… the two had graduated from the police training academy in December and had not yet completed a required probationary period.

Argh. At least these weeds were pulled early, I guess. As others have said, fingers crossed this is the end of their police careers, and they don’t just settle in elsewhere.

10 Likes

To me it sounds like the screening and training for N.O officers is insufficient

3 Likes