New Orleans cops beat man up for being a "fake American"

Misdemeanor? Look at his face. Those monsters need to be in jail a long time.

gomez

22 Likes

I actually did just that. I was planning a trip to New Orleans soon. Rethinking that now.

10 Likes

The evidence is overwhelming that these surveillance cameras have to go. Clearly they cause police brutality. Before they existed, the police never beat up or killed civilians without cause. We saw proof of this time and again when deranged citizens were charged for using their teeth and faces to viciously assault police boots and fists.

19 Likes

Generally speaking in the US, aggravated assault (a felony) is

A person is guilty of aggravated assault if he or she attempts to cause serious bodily injury to another or causes such injury purposely, knowingly, or recklessly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life; or attempts to cause or purposely or knowingly causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon. In all jurisdictions statutes punish such aggravated assaults as assault with intent to murder (or rob or kill or rape) and assault with a dangerous (or deadly) weapon more severely than “simple” assaults.

But LA Rev Stat § 14:37 and LA Rev Stat § 14:34 are short and the only relevant portions say

Aggravated assault is an assault committed with a dangerous weapon.

Aggravated battery is a battery committed with a dangerous weapon.

But I think it could be second degree battery

§34.1. Second degree battery

A. Second degree battery is a battery when the offender intentionally inflicts serious bodily injury; however, this provision shall not apply to a medical provider who has obtained the consent of a patient.

B. For purposes of this Section, “serious bodily injury” means bodily injury which involves unconsciousness, extreme physical pain or protracted and obvious disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of a bodily member, organ, or mental faculty, or a substantial risk of death.

C. Whoever commits the crime of second degree battery shall be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not more than five years, or both.

(emphasis mine)

5 Likes

I have some thoughts on New Orleans and the surrounding area, and in relation to this guy being Hispanic.

This is just me and my family’s experience… others might’ve not encountered this but… being Hispanic and when living out there we saw first hand a lot of hostility against Latinos, not just from white people by the way. My parents encountered a lot of nastiness for a few years… when they eventually moved to Houston they were surprised over how nice people were in Texas.

12 Likes

we need to rethink policing

2 Likes

Misdemeanor? The guy is disfigured and may bear permanent scars. We can only see the damage to his face–he may have injuries elsewhere, too. How can this be a misdemeanor?

8 Likes

Done!, thanks for suggesting it.

3 Likes

“They will.” (Spoken in the Arrested Development narrator’s voice)

1 Like

I’d rather not have Ron Howard narrating the neverending clusterfuck that is this reality, thanks.

6 Likes

But how can I misunderstand inline with my own bias if I take other people at face value? /s

1 Like

Wow. It’s a damn miracle the cops are getting charged with anything at all, much less fired.

Let’s hope they don’t just skip to the next county over and be given the same job all over again.

5 Likes

When the criminal charges are all completed Gomez should sue those dirtbags in civil court. Racists will think twice about harassing people if they think they may lose their houses and retirement accounts.

5 Likes

The other side of this kind of escalation is that it might just make the bodies of the targets harder to find.

I’m all for it, but that’s a truth, too.

2 Likes
  1. New Orleans used to have the most corrupt police forces in the US. Not sure how they compare now a days.

2. Shit, only certain people can wear camo? Since when?

They must have somehow missed that whole horrible fashion trend in the mid-late 90’s…

5 Likes

The cynic in me notes that they were new recruits in a probationary period, so it was much easier to fire them than if they were full fledged officers already.

Or get jobs with ICE.

8 Likes

Shit, only certain people can wear camo? Since when?

They can have my camo boxer-briefs when they peel them off my corpse. If they can find it…

2 Likes

OH man, that purple pattern is sweet.

The only camo I own (well I think I have an old woodland BDU from early paintball days) is a regular camo shirt that says, “Ha! Now you can’t see me!”

2 Likes

Yep!
Here’s the simplest

8 Likes