New 'Pippi Longstocking' film in the works

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/03/new-pipi-longstocking-film.html

5 Likes

Sean Spicer should wander alone on a high desert plain with desiccant in his bunny suit pockets.

Oh, bring pony tails back!

8 Likes

He’s evidently a tv personality now. I say make him the monkey.

4 Likes

Seems Paddington 2 is still holding a 100% score on RottenTomatoes, with 235 reviews. Don’t see that every day.

As for Pipi Pippi, the last thing I can recall reading about her was this rather morose bit on The Toast.
http://the-toast.net/2015/12/07/jaya-catches-up-actually-pippi-longstocking-is-really-depressing/

Or see http://the-toast.net/2016/01/15/everything-i-would-eat-in-pippi-longstocking/ for something a little more cheery.

4 Likes

If you read the original comics, Pippi can actually be quite brutal, body slamming people and horses, like full on Ultimate Warrior gorilla presses over the head. It could have been a contributing factor in my daughter being a menace at preschool :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Or, check out another of Astrid Lindgren’s books, “The Brothers Lionheart”, where both of the protagonists die. Twice.

2 Likes

As a kindergarten-er in '71-"72, I was mystified by this character I’d never heard of before, yet all my classmates seemed to love.
Of course, Gene Autry’s song Up on the Housetop was a new one on me, despite knowing all the other manufactured non-Xian Xmas legend songs like Rudolph.

I think my parents might have been conducting some sort of cultural deprivation experiment with me as the Guinea pig.

7 Likes

Pippi gets all the attention, but before I heard about her, the Bullerby Children books were a favorite. They wrre written by Astrid Lindgren too, thiugh actually later than the Pippi books.

We got them as English translations in Denmark when we were there for six months in 1965. The Christmas one was especially good. They were great at age five, I have no idea if they would be as appealing to an adult. A very small village I guess in Sweden, so the chikdren are all closevand have various adventures. But it’s to be in another country when so young, the culture does permeate. I remember little before that, yet Christmas that year looms large, and of course it’s Danish Christmas. These days I have an urge to visit Ikea in early December to get in the.mood.

4 Likes

I never read the books, but watched the films multiple times, growing up in the 70’s in Los Angeles. KTLA, Channel 5, would run them at least every year if not more, always early on a Saturday evening.

3 Likes

A new Pepi Longsocks film you say?!

5 Likes

Yes - I remember seeing the movie on KTLA’s “Family Film Festival”. Saw a lot of great movies that way, now that I think of it - lots of Douglas Fairbanks swashbuckling and Harryhausen stop-motion, among other things.

3 Likes

I remember watching a lot of great Max Fleischer animated features, too. Remember the afternoon show with Tom Hatten (who died last March)? They always ran one of the original Popeye shorts. Great stuff.

2 Likes

The Bullerby books are really lovely.

I also really like the Lotta books (for younger children), with pictures by Ilon Wikland.

Oh, and there are so many more great books by Astrid Lindgren…

2 Likes

We had a (very) mixed breed dog that, for obvious reasons, we called PeePee Longstoppings.

3 Likes

I love Emil (Michel) from Lönneberga. There’s probably no one in my generation who doesn’t know Emil. It holds up quite well today.

2 Likes

Also not to be missed:
Ronja, the robber‘s daughter
Bill Bergson

2 Likes

I sometimes feel the same although I was fortunate a few classics snuck through. Big Ups to my late father who I remember reading Pippi Longstocking stories (complete with character voices) to us kids every bedtime over a three week camping trip. The best medium for these stories imho!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.