The new Watership Down book is an exquisite achievement in graphic storytelling

Originally published at: The new Watership Down book is an exquisite achievement in graphic storytelling | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I still clearly recall the trauma of seeing the animated movie as an eight year-old with the cub-scouts.

I went in expecting a cartoon about bunnies and got what was essentially a slasher movie. It was a horror show!

So yeah, not for children.

10 Likes

There should be some sort of therapy group for those of us who grew up in the UK in the 70s and 80s - if it wasn’t ‘Watershed Down’ it was Noseybonk, or ‘Children of the Stones’ or ‘Doctor Who’ or any of a multitude of public information films that must have given millions of us a strong aversion to quarries and pylons.

14 Likes

Wow, when they say graphic novel, they truly mean graphic novel. I with the ones above who required therapy after seeing the film as a kid. :face_with_peeking_eye:

7 Likes

You’ve read the book, you’ve seen the film - now try the stew!

17 Likes

I would love to see a Pixar version of this, with the same Blue Bunny Ice Cream Inle’ stylized Black Rabbit of Death and perhaps a similarly gruesome General Woundwort. But, two versions of the movies will be released: “G” for the kids and “R/NC-17” that follows closer to the book and with additional scenes and spatter patterns.

2 Likes

Consider Richard Adams’ ‘The Plague Dogs’

11 Likes

Did people assume this book/movie was ok for kids just because it’s about rabbits?

2 Likes

Yes. Yes they did.

12 Likes

The animated movie had the most impact on me as a kid and the stories I like to write as an adult. Richard Adams’ work is incredible.
A hrududu?! Genius.

10 Likes

What do you have against pylons?

9 Likes

Also because the film is a cartoon. Some people think cartoons are only for kids and that was even more the case 30 or 40 years ago.

8 Likes

Watership Down

12 Likes
12 Likes
9 Likes

So, like, does it tone down the violence, because as others said - whooo boy, that never should have been a G rated movie. I wasn’t horribly scarred from it, but at the same time there were some pretty graphic scenes that I definitely didn’t like at the time.

7 Likes

Oh, just this little childhood trauma:

12 Likes

Most people knew about the movie through ‘Bright Eyes’ which was Number 1 for months and the video just had the nice rabbits in it.

7 Likes

Some of us in the US had the unfortunate experience of being drawn in by the gentle, pastoral The Adventures of Black Beauty only to have it immediately followed by Children Of The Stones.

But at least it was better than The Tomorrow People.

4 Likes
2 Likes