Paprika is getting a live-action series

Originally published at: Paprika is getting a live-action series | Boing Boing

4 Likes

What’s to gain from this effort? Paprika is an anime specifically made for the media.

9 Likes

Has there ever been a live action adaption of an anime that was worth watching?

1 Like

i don’t see how this could ever be adapted for live action. try to CG mr. squidlegs or the undulating hallway.
Paprika is not Inception, even if both center around dreaming and interacting inside the dreaming mind.

5 Likes

I liked Paprika for what it was but the story was pretty uneven for me. You mainly watch it as a spectacle of animation, and while i imagine someone could do a cool live action version with lots of CG i think i would prefer for them to make something original rather than retread what the director for Paprika made. He made amazing art, leave it alone.

3 Likes

As far as I can tell it’s pretty simple: It’s to retell the story again, but this time for people that don’t like animation. It’s not that “Tinsletown [is] incapable of processing the fact that anime fans actually enjoy animation”. It’s that there’s a whole market out there of non-anime fans. It’s a story that succeeded once; for the studio that means it might succeed in their medium. For the potential audience it’s got cachet; blogs/film news sites/etc. will mention that it’s based on some famous anime, so good that they’re going to make it twice.

1 Like

Did Battle Angel Alita teach us nothing?

alita

2 Likes

It’s not exactly anime, but Scott Pilgrim vs. The World was pretty solid in my opinion. I don’t know why Hollywood tries so seriously, when really it doesn’t have to be that hard.

4 Likes

I would think that without having to change much they could play off whatever they’re doing as an adaptation of Inception and attract more viewers on the basis of name recognition alone.

3 Likes

The Rurouni Kenshin live action movies seem to be well liked. I watched the first one some months ago and really enjoyed it but i havent gone back to watch the others. And another example i can think of might be Battle Royale, it’s not great per se but it’s pretty watchable.

1 Like

There are many, but very few of them are from western studios. The good example of this is comparing the Japanese live action Death Note that honored the original plot and characters with the Netflix live action Death Note that did none of that.
The few live action adaptations from western studios that have been good have also had mixed reception in the US. Once example is the Wachowski’s Speed Racer, which apparently was received much more favorably in Japan than it was in the US.

6 Likes

agreed. SPvTW is an absolute fave of mine and was almost a frame-for-frame recreation on O’Malley’s graphic novels. like the books were the storyboard for the film and the actors (and Edgar Wright) did a bang-up job reprpducing it.
for instance, the scene where Knives is coloring her hair, sitting on the bathroom counter, complaining to her friend sitting on the side of the tub about Ramona. awesomely set and perfectly rendered from that very panel in the book.
now, trying the take a fantastical anime and somehow use that to recreate will not work (IMO), as i don’t believe there is a corresponding manga to storyboard from. (i may be mistaken in the lack of an original manga, my thought is that the anime stands alone.)

4 Likes

Is it an adaptation of the anime, or of the original novel?

2 Likes

I wish I could see this movie for the first time once again. I had no idea what it was when I walked into the theater in 2010, and no movie since then has induced the same exhilarating delirium.

4 Likes

Interesting that there’s been a critical re-evaluation of Speed Racer in the years since. Personally I consider it, not The Matrix, to be the Wachowskis’ masterpiece.

3 Likes

What? That you can make $405 million box office off a $200 million budget? Not the best, but also nothing to sneeze at.

Speed Racer.

1 Like

So true about the Rurouni Kenshin live actions. I was very impressed by those adaptations of the original story lines. And so beautifully filmed, too. So reignited my Japanese traditional textiles fetish. I mean, those camera shots that deliberately showed off the weave, pattern, and color of the clothes really got me aesthetically worked up.

But I can’t help but imagine a Paprika live action getting a Inception treatment and ending up as nightmare fuel, special effects being what they can pull off these days.

1 Like
7 Likes

Well, actually it will be based on a novel, not on Satoshi Kon movie…

2 Likes