Akira to be re-released in high definition

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/06/akira-to-be-re-released-in-hig.html

1 Like

Akira was the first manga I was able to sit through, and I devoured it in a few sittings! So excited about the remaster and the show. The original movie and the manga have quite a few differences, if anyone enjoyed one of them I highly recommend checking out the other! The giant “Rambo-lady” from the manga is sadly missing from the anime, she was one of my favorite characters!

4 Likes

What kind of anime are you looking for? Do you want something that’s more character driven? I can recommend two: Mushishi and Mononoke (no relation to Princess Mononoke).

Oddly enough both series have somewhat similar premises, takes place in Edo period Japan with wandering “medicine salesman”. Both series deal with supernatural themes but the execution for both are widely different, Mushishi’s main character is more kind towards spirits and tries to help them along without harming them if possible. The show’s pace is slow and introspective.

Mononoke deals more with Japanese folklore and structurally the show is set up like a mystery who-done-it with the intent of banishing the spirit. Visually it’s also very different.

I think both shows can be seen for free on Crunchyroll and you can avoid watching ads if you watch it on Firefox with Adblockers

1 Like

So by reading this post relating to classic manga and anime that would be of interest to fans, I get to learn that the author is not a fan, and not much else. Wooooo. Great post bb. :+1:

3 Likes

I have to agree: the visuals and soundtrack are pretty great, but on the whole Akira is quite the baffling and incomprehensible ride – and the manga is not a great improvement either.

Steamboy works so much better. Unfortunate that it is not nearly as famous.

Every time I attempt to invest in something new, like Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist or Bleach, I quickly lose interest.

Bleach starts going downhill after the first 13 episodes or so and only picks up speed from there, says I. And Cowboy Bebop is maybe understandable too. But FMA is totally worth taking another swing at, should you ever be so inclined. (Maybe Attack on Titan? I’d still like to see that someday.)

2 Likes

I saw steam boy and honestly found it lacking. There’s not much about it that really stuck out to me. I wouldn’t mind rewatching… I might get more out of it now but my memory of it isn’t kind. Akira for me was a spectacular animation, remember that at the time there was nothing like it and the sci-fi- and political, social commentary really reflects the anxieties that Japan was going through at that time. The story is not as neat as it could be but I personally love it for what it is.

5 Likes

burn that candle from both ends, baby.

I’ve tried to understand the appeal of anime several different times. Most fell flat, but one series that hooked me was Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex. From the theme song by Origa through the whole story arc, I enjoyed it all.

I’ve heard only good things about Akira, so I’m hoping that this Blu-Ray will be everything promised.

1 Like

Try Paranóia Agent.

6 Likes

Try the cartoons made by the Studio Ghibli. These cartoons are in another level.

9 Likes

You should. It’s on Crunchyroll too.

I’m the opposite. I can’t get into comics but I’m all about anime. It’s blasphemy to besmirch Cowboy Bebop. Just rewatched it with the wife; it still holds up.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen anything like it either before or since.
I feel almost like I dreamed it.

3 Likes

Coming soon, blind people tell us about their favourite colours.

2 Likes

Paprika caused the same effect in me. It was very sad the sudden death of the director. Mr. Satoshi Kon is very much missed.

7 Likes
1 Like

You used the news of a new remaster of a classic anime film directed by and based on a manga by Eisner Hall of Fame inductee and Ordre des Arts et des Lettres Captain Katsuhiro Otomo to tell us you don’t like anime or manga, preferring Green Lantern, and leave out the news, included in every other article on the subject, of his new anime series adaptation of the same work. Well, I only lured you in with my ridiculous run-on rant to let you know that I find Green Lantern silly and prefer works like Vagabond and Berserk.

7 Likes

And in Netflix, at least the live action version.

1 Like

Psychopass and Monster are pretty damned good, too, especially if you’re going for introspection and twisting stories.

2 Likes

Cowboy Bebop doesn’t merely “hold up” IMO. It’s simply one of the best pieces of storytelling in television ever made. If you whittle that down to science fiction and animated, it’s not even a question. :slight_smile: Samurai Champloo also fantastic.

Btw, what’s not to get, with Akira? Old and weird? I represent that remark. OK so maybe it’s easier to parse if you tend to lean mystic cyberpunk, but it’s sweet regardless. And still some of the best animation committed to film. This and GitS were the two movies that really put anime on the map for many people. Such a throwaway bb post is self-indulgent and a bit ridonculous. IMHO of course. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes