Awaken Akira pays tribute to animated classic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/02/awaken-akira-pays-tribute-to-a.html

1 Like

In my head, Akira, Blade Runner, and Mad Max are all different regions of the same post-apocalyptic world.

9 Likes

TETSUO!

3 Likes

Now write that book that connects all three, please.

6 Likes

I think that one’s called Dominion Tank Police

4 Likes

KANEDA

6 Likes

Also god damn do i love Akira. The last act of the movie is incredible and sheer madness animation-wise. The only movie that comes close that i’ve seen is Paprika, which has some crazy complex hand drawn scenes.

6 Likes

Have you seen any of Yuasa’s stuff? Seems Lu Over The Wall might be getting something of a wider release later this year, though I didn’t like it as much as Mindgame or Night is Short, Walk On Girl.

3 Likes

Website doesn’t work on two different browsers… (can’t get to the pages below the splash). Huh… Youtube has my back, and, apparently there’s music that I didn’t get on the website’s splash, either.

I love Paprika’s animation, and especially enjoyed the opener. Alas I found the story overall to be the weakest of Satoshi Kon’s work. Perhaps my expectations were raised too high my Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Paranoia Agent. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah the story was very weak but I definitely have an appreciation for the work that went into it. His other stuff is pretty great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.