New podcast: Dolly Parton's America

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/04/new-podcast-dolly-partons-a.html

3 Likes

She also has a brand new stage musical, Dolly Parton’s Smoky Mountain Christmas, which is getting its world premiere in Boston this year. (the ads for the musical include a little disclaimer that DOLLY WILL NOT BE APPEARING, sadly)

5 Likes

Dolly is OK in my book.

8 Likes

Love is like a butterfly
As soft and gentle as a sigh
The multicolored moods of love are like its satin wings

Whenever I hear about her the mellow opening to her 70s variety show floats through my mind.

4 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think about her that much.

3 Likes

It’s amazing to think that she wrote I Will Always Love You and Jolene on the same day.

She thinks. She was so prolific during that period she honestly can’t remember.

10 Likes

She’s a national treasure even if it were just for her millions of book donations.

12 Likes

Not sure if this has shown up on BB yet, but it should:

7 Likes

Just read about her life, man, and listen to some of her music. I’m a long way from being a country music fan, but Dolly is amazing.

Watch an interview, too - she is wonderfully warm, charming and funny.

5 Likes

I remember reading or seeing somewhere that Dolly once said that when she recorded “I Will Always Love You” she bought a Cadillac and when Whitney Houston recorded it, Dolly bought the dealership. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

By a strange coincidence, this little ditty was going through my head this morning. Pardon me while I lower the tone:

1 Like

What friggin’ magic potion does this woman take? She’s getting younger looking all the time.

2 Likes

No one is going to mention that photoshop monstrosity of an image? WTF is going on with that thing?

1 Like

How did I not know this was a thing? I love it.

2 Likes

Presumably others knew, but succumbed to the Madness before alerting others…

1 Like

The real money is in song writing credits, not recording.

1 Like

She gives millions of books away to kids so they learn to love to read. That’s more than enough to make me love her, and I grew up in the borderlands of Appalachia, so she was already a goddess to me for her music.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.