New Rob Ford crack-smoking video emerges, Ford takes "break" from re-election campaign

“his job” is merely getting elected?! Oh honey, I can’t help you.

Oh, and pssssttt: http://boingboing.net/2014/05/01/mayor-rob-ford-recording-drun.html

The dude is a jack ass of the highest order.

He is not going to rehab willingly or because he wants to. He’s doing it because he’s being told to. For damage control. Nothing more.

Everybody, calm down! I think what we’re forgetting here is that crack is really-really-really-really fun.

What you and marilove seem to think is that I’m defending the guy himself when what I am saying is that what was done to him, in this particular instance, is shitty. That is all. You both also seem to think I don’t know about all his other awful behaviour, which I am fully aware of.

If he’s doing a truly shitty job he will be booted out… unless I’m mistaken and mayors in Canada are like the pope and serve as mayor for the rest of their natural life. I am also in awe with your assertion that getting elected is not the job to do after being elected. Being re-elected is the name of the game in politics and many politicians act to achieve that goal and nothing else. Popularism may not equate to merit but whatcha gonna do… that’s the political system we have in the west.

You are preaching to the converted: I’m Australian and since we got Abbott the self-serving conservaturd as our PM I want to leave this country on a daily/weekly basis, partly because he is doing stuff in my name that I find reprehensible (our monstrously inhumane refugee policy, removing carbon pricing, removing a mining tax, revoking laws to protect against racial bigotry, trying to de-list old growth forest in order to be logged) but also partly because I am appalled that the people in this country were so fucking stupid as to vote for him thinking he’d keep any of his promises. I literally look down on people I know who voted for them in the last election as being gullible twats.

I understand that point of view but I don’t think drug dealing in Canada is quite the thing that it is in America. America is fucked because: guns, gangs, shares border with Mexico, drug and sentencing laws that encourage criminals to be ruthless.

Contrary to popular culture’s portrayal, drug dealers really don’t want to be badasses and really just want to keep a low profile. The dealers I’ve known who have done it for years/decades do so by looking and acting like anything but Hollywood (or MTV’s) depiction of the ‘profession’.

Clearly Ford needs to learn this lesson but if you’re rich and powerful you get a trusted assistant to deal with sourcing and picking up all that shit so there is no record of criminal behaviour and you don’t end up getting filmed doing crack in a basement.

2-3 hours a day? The guy is the patron saint of hard work compared to some Australian politicians!

We had a guy in the Queensland parliament last year who managed to show up 3 times in 6 months - for an hour or two each time. Needless to say he quit when they were in the process of booting him out.

Anyway, I do actually kid here… Ford is a fucking scumbag and I don’t really care what happens to him whatsoever. I’m just saying that filming people doing drugs and then offering to sell the footage is fucking scummy.

It’s clear from your posts that you haven’t followed the history of the guy as a local would. You also wouldn’t know then that your postulations regarding his activities serve as a common defense despite being largely ill-informed.

I didn’t think you were defending “him”, no one does that anymore, I was just answering some of your statements that whether you know it or not ARE his defense.

But you don’t really think it was shitty that a small criminal finked out a larger one that happened to be drowning? That’s how that works on the street or in the boardroom.

At least, it doesn’t sync entirely with your cynicism regarding politics/elected office roles? Or it could, if you want it to anyway.

edit- Violent crime in Canada generates fewer bodies per capita due to functional social systems & low handgun ownership. Stabbing ain’t as easy, but Canadian crime is still violent & this guy is associated primarily with a violent street gang & the video(s) debacle over the past few years has definitely involved heavy violence including possibly 1-2 bodies.

If you’ve got links that detail the bodies caused by this I’d be happy to read them. Of course I haven’t followed it like a local because I’m not a local. Nor are most people here. Which aspects of my commentary do you see as being ill-informed? I don’t feel I’ve said anything other than finking people out for their choices in a private place is a shitty move (particularly when it was perpetrated by someone who is arguably less ethical than Ford - if that’s even possible) and that politicians are self-serving assholes.

If Ford is truly the criminal thug you’re claiming he is, I expect the guy who shot the footage to end up dead or in jail because that’s how it works on the street, right? As I’ve said: if there wasn’t already confirmation that Ford smokes crack I would commend the guy for bringing this to light, but as it stands this footage is worthless from a journalistic perspective and exists solely to make money for a piece of shit scumbag.

It’s like the criminal version of entrapment… “here guy, let me sell you these drugs and then shoot video of you doing those drugs to make even more money off you than I already have”. I don’t care if someone sells drugs. I don’t care if someone buys and does drugs. I do care if the person profiting off those drugs then shits on his customer because it’s profitable and possible.

I agree that if you compare any Canadian city to the USA, Canada ends up looking like a land of boy-scouts (er… make that “cub-scouts” since Scouting has been integrated in Canada for over a decade.) But I don’t think it makes sense to compare that way.
The point is that cocain comes from somewhere. There is a whole illegal system bringing it to Mr. Ford’s pipe. Unless I’m mistaken, the way things are right now, doing crack necessarily means that Ford is in contact with some level of organized crime. And you just need to read the stories about the corruption in Montreal to know that can’t be good.

I would see the issue here is that this video is the latest in a long line of Rob Ford’s poor decisions. If this was an isolated incident I would agree with you that this was just a finking. But he is a poor leader, indecent human, and incredibly selfish buffoon elected due to campaign promises that he has either broken or fulfilled only for his own benefit.

He is showing a lot of unhealthy behavior and I’d say that this sort of thing is as close as he’ll ever come to asking for help. He’s to be pitied more than jailed, but voted out of office either way.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.