New sliver of a skyscraper is the width of just one apartment

Originally published at: New sliver of a skyscraper is the width of just one apartment - Boing Boing

6 Likes

So it’s even more stupid and horrible than all the other stupid, horrible buildings in Dubai? Cool.

24 Likes

But… why?

13 Likes

Maybe they should call in the Millennium Tower group from San Francisco as consultants?

12 Likes
3 Likes

Oh, I’m sure one feels quite connected to nature on the 71st floor.

Fuck off, dubai, and take all your stupid soi disant architecture with you - esp those sinking islands you destroyed the environment to make.

So fucking dumb.

12 Likes

Reminds me of Louis Sachar’s “Wayside School” books, where the builder read the blueprints sideways and built a 30-story building with one classroom on each floor…

13 Likes

Always still relevant:

“They said I’d be impressed”

4 Likes

Should be the advertising slogan for Dubai.

2 Likes

It’s gonna fall down.

Even they know it’s gonna fall down.

Oligarchs gotta launder their money somewhere now that western countries are unfriendly thanks to the war in Ukraine.

8 Likes

Dubai’s signature architectural achievements, from its ridiculous skyscrapers to its already-sinking artificial islands, would only begin to make sense if constructed by a city with an extremely limited amount of land available to build on, not a city surrounded by huge swaths of empty desert.

Manhattan and Singapore didn’t just start building skyscrapers as dick-waving vanity projects, they started building skyscrapers because they have strictly limited geographical boundaries available to build on. Absent that condition it is rarely practical to build anything above ten stories or so.

15 Likes

And I thought buying a condo* in an NYC supertall was stupid.

[* Actually living in one of these big safe deposit boxes/money laundries can’t be assumed.]

6 Likes

That is going to make one hell of a fascinating ruin after the inevitable collapse of the oil economy.*

*Collapse from either the crash of oil as useful or the crash of civilization as viable. Either way, cool ruins.

3 Likes

I don’t think I have legit acrophobia, but heights still make me uneasy, and with something like this the very idea of it makes me uneasy-- I can be in a tall building, but the width and general mass of the building still makes me feel grounded. With this, not so much.

3 Likes

This is why Dubai is investing so heavily in being a kind of bizarre desert Disneyland for the 1%ers of the world. They know their oil economy will dry up soon, and are trying to attract rich foreign investors to buy expensive properties and providing all kinds of bizarre amenities (ski slopes… in the desert!) to attract tourism. Other Emirates are doing similar things like Abu Dhabi aggressively recruiting foreign entrepreneurs offering subsidies and little in the way of oversight or regulations.

2 Likes

So how wide is one apartment? It’s just one unit per floor, but that base could easily be wide enough to be almost stable in a mild wind.

3 Likes

Well, maybe. According to the news stories I’ve been able to find a developer has announced through a press release that they plan to build such an apartment tower, but that’s certainly no guarantee that the project will actually happen. Plenty of announcements for similar ambitious construction projects in the area never actually got anywhere.

4 Likes

The 73-story apartment building is 1,246 tall but, with only one apartment per floor, is just 73 feet wide.

3 Likes

But that 73 feet is an arbitrary measure. Nowhere are apartments required to be that size. And why that gif? Seems a bit hostile.

Shelly captured the irony deliciously in Ozymandias:

“My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!”

(Read the poem, it’s very short. A classic cautionary tale for anyone looking to make their mark on history.)

1 Like