New study reveals the best excuse for breaking New Year promises

Originally published at: New study reveals the best excuse for breaking New Year promises - Boing Boing

Good to know. Next time I’m concerned with how others perceive my own levels of commitment to my personal goals, I’ll be sure to remember this.

Over It Reaction GIF

9 Likes

Oh, oh… I know this one.
It’s death, it’s death, right?

1 Like

Interesting, my intuition swings the opposite direction. If money is the main barrier to achieving your goals, then unless there’s been a huge change in prices or your income, it means you did a bad job deciding on a goal and should have framed it differently. It’s 2024, you can find out how much things cost before you announce you’re going to do them.

I had guessed alcohol - the source of, and solution to, all of life’s problems

3 Likes

Isn’t honesty a good choice here? “I’m not going to make it to the gym 5 times a week. I had good intentions when I said that, but I can’t manage the commitment.”

I’ve lost patience for people who can’t handle the truth these days.

5 Likes

“Money excuise moore tire fo broken promises”

(Using an upside down1) “m” in “excuise” and… something in “tire”. Someone needs to introduce DALL-E to kerning. Either generated pics of text get better or the system implodes - both good.)

1) Nope, not in the mood for writing ~20 lines of HTML just to find out that the flavour of Markdown that Discourse uses won’t support it.

You are Nathan R. Jessep, and I claim my £5!

Suggested NY Resolution: tell readers what’s in the actual research, and whether it’s plausible, rather than quote some predigested fiddle-faddle from a press release.

1 Like

Best excuse for New Year promises if your promise is precisely “going to the gym.” The money excuse won’t fly for, say, quitting smoking.

Next time, try, “Satan made me do it!” Works for everything.

2 Likes

I mean money is correct if by money you mean the pervading stench of late stage capitalism causing all of us to be absolutely brainwashed into thinking that most of the things people make resolutions about are personal choices and not the result of many systemic problems caused by the people and organizations that keep turning the screws to get even more money out of us.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.