New study shows that drought could shut down the biggest US Hydro Plants in the next few years

Originally published at: New study shows that drought could shut down the biggest US Hydro Plants in the next few years | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Meanwhile, ads funded by the petroleum industry be like, “People need to stop drinking so much water. What can you do to reduce your water intake?”

17 Likes

I’m sure that Coke has a plan to offer to top up the reservoir.

14 Likes

Not at a price that the plant operators would be willing to pay, I imagine. Unless…

5 Likes

Come on, the cost would be paid by the taxpayers, as usual.

14 Likes

I was thinking more along the lines of how they could donate their usual bottled tap water to Flint, Michigan and other locales with water supply issues and then send back the lead/poison/biological weapon-tainted water in the empty bottles to refill the reservoirs on the cheap. It would be a huge PR win, and the tainted water is for hydroelectric power generation, so who cares? /s

7 Likes

It is sad because it is true.

4 Likes

This is going to translate into a lot of heat-related deaths in the southwest when brownouts shut down the A/C.

9 Likes

Better yet – we can use Brawndo to power the hydro plants because it’s got electrolytes!

15 Likes

Ugh… Critics of clean, renewable energy are going to have a field day with this while completely ignoring the more dire implications.

6 Likes

Gentrify them into large skate parks, think of the money they’ll make…

6 Likes

Ironically, it looks like climate change may force what some environmental groups have been calling for for years now.

11 Likes

Or maybe the categorization of hydro power as a renewable should be revisited?

3 Likes

I believe it still stands because water is not used up in the process itself.

6 Likes

Renewable energy source? Absolutely. Environmentally friendly? That’s a more complicated question.

11 Likes

George Hayduke and the rest of the Monkey Wrench Gang would be delighted.

wrench

2 Likes

Yeah, when it stops raining upstream of the dam, the water above the dam doesn’t renew.

2 Likes

there’s a 34% chance of reaching “critically low reservoir elevations” by 2023. There’s a 25% chance it’ll happen by 2024.

Mmm, what’s that now?

2 Likes

but what about the crops we need all the electrolytes for the crops.

3 Likes

Can’t we vote on it? Like, you want water, or you want power?

1 Like