New video emerges of black cosplayer running for his life from cops who then shot and killed him

Definitely the least accountable

30 Likes

The fact that so many are willing to completely wash their hands of the abject consequences show they feel it is deserved.

In the presence of a child well under the age of majority, one would think that adults- especially authority figures- would be the ones expected to use even more caution and common sense before jumping into action, more so actions that have a deadly outcome. Is the onus really on a child to act rationally and sensibly when suddenly faced with armed policemen?

Did he deserve to die? Absolutely not. But he made very poor choices
that you left out of your comment for the sake of your argument.

Nope, did not leave anything out for sordid reasons. The video, facts and articles are all over the news. He was a 12 year-old child who’s actions and judgement were not out of line for a 12 year-old child, who are known to make rash, stupid decisions like any children. The professional adults in a position of power on the other hand…

6 Likes

And on foot, too. That’s inherently suspicious. /sarc

I’m not saying it isn’t a problem. It is. I just think each instance needs to be investigated on it’s own merits. Not everyone shot by the police is innocent.

Yeah I think this one with the sword smells fishy. Hopefully other evidence will make it clear what happened. I’m just saying the video doesn’t do that.

1 Like

Yes. Thank you. I figured as a whole, my tone was upset/snarky enough to make it clear, but you never know :wink:

1 Like

It proves that for at least part of the encounter he was running away from the police rather than charging them with a sword. That seriously undermines any “he attacked US” claims and flat out contradicts their previously stated version of events.

Who runs away from multiple adversaries brandishing superior weaponry only to turn around and attack them head-on? With a sword he knew wasn’t sharp, no less?

19 Likes
4 Likes

So let’s look at this from the police perspective.

You’ve got a suspect walking about brandishing a lethal weapon. Fake or not, the police don’t know this and cannot determine this until they take the suspect into custody, search him and determine the nature of the weapon. They confront the suspect, command him to drop the weapon and follow procedures so that they can cuff him pending a search and investigation into this. Now if he was smart, he would have simply done as he was told, obeyed their lawful commands, and at worst he would have had a bruised ego from the ordeal (and learned a valuable lesson in how not to be an idiot and carrying any sort of weapon like that out in public), and possibly a public mischief charge, which likely isn’t more than a warning, a fine, or perhaps some community service.

Instead, he flees, the whole “white cops are out to get me”, or whatever the reason behind his decision making might have been at the time (perhaps he had a criminal record that would land him in deeper hot water than we think, or outstanding warrants, who knows). So now you’ve got a guy armed with a sword fleeing from you, you’re in hot pursuit with your guns drawn, and it’s a foot chase in public.

Eventually the suspect (it appears in the final clip) turns into an alleyway, a side street, into a business. There’s possibly innocent bystanders nearby (which the video doesn’t really show), he’s not obeying your commands to stop and drop the weapon, to which point you still don’t know that it’s a fake, and now you’re faced with the possibility that this person is out to do malicious harm to somebody (or himself), and you have to act. Do you A) shoot him given that he’s left you with no other options, or B) allow him to escape and possibly harm somebody with a very deadly (albeit fake) weapon?

The moral of the story?

You’re always better off not carrying a weapon in public, period.

Make that “morals”, plural. If the police confront you about anything, let alone the fact that you’re carrying what appears to them as a weapon. You don’t lip them off, you certainly don’t flee (which instantly is felony fleeing, no matter what the initial circumstances are, and you will go to jail for that alone in itself). You’re in a public place, if you’re compliant in following the commands without lipping off, hesitating or resisting, even the most rookie or currupt cop is going to think twice about physically abusing you or doing anything else that in itself would be a criminal act. Yes, admittedly, there can be some hotheads that may be a bit rough. But again, you’re in public, there’s witnesses, there’s likely people filming this on their phones. When it’s all said and done you’re in the right by complying and they’re in the wrong for using excessive force on a suspect who’s plainly compliant.

None of this “it’s a black & white” thing. None of this “police brutality”. If anything this video more than likely would vindicate the officers. It may not show the suspect “attacking them”, but again, it doesn’t show the initial confrontation or the final events that led to his death. Granted, there is a chance that the officers could have embelished the story slightly in their favour, but in the end, those details aren’t known fully, nor are they shown in this video other than showing an armed suspect fleeing from police who had every right to confront and seek to detain the person in this case.

1 Like

But was it illegal to publicly carry a sword?

11 Likes

Because no black guy has ever found himself being charged with destruction of public property from bleeding on cop’s uniforms when he was arrested and beaten up when he had done nothing wrong apart from having the same name as a wanted person. OH WAIT THAT EXACT THING HAPPENED.

If someone has done nothing wrong, which by all accounts this guy hadn’t (apparently, carrying a sword is not illegal) the police should not be pulling weapons on him. full stop. Let’s get cameras on the cops and lets get them non-lethal takedown methods.

20 Likes

That is exactly what you have done…

What is shown in the video is a black man, in a comic costume, running from two white men. What exactly were the black man’s “actions” that justify chasing him then shooting him in the back six times? Did you see the black man brandish his 2.5 foot “sword”? Did you see the black man lunge at the white men with his 2.5 foot “sword”?

While you ponder those questions, look at your arm. Add 2.5 feet. How far away from you must someone be to ensure you are not a threat if you wield something 2.5 feet in length? Five feet? Six feet? In any case, all the white officers have to do to be safe is remain ten feet away. That’s it. No one is in danger if the idiot police maintain a ten foot distance.

Oh dear. It looks like you condemned the black man not once but twice. In the same post…

The resemblance in headgear is amazing…

8 Likes

It conclusively proves the cops were lying in their account of the event, in which they stated they shot him when he lunged at them when they exited their vehicle. One cop had a body camera, another a mic - but both were “turned off” during the event, very conveniently.

21 Likes

Suspected of what?

We’re talking about a state where people (at least, white people) can and do go about their business like this:

But a black guy in a ninja costume carrying a 2 1/2 foot sword is reason to deploy lethal force? Give me a freakin’ break.

Edit to add:

GOLLY I WONDER WHERE HE GOT THAT IDEA.

38 Likes

Shit, are you trollin’, or are you just unaware of what happens to black men when stopped by the police in this country?

18 Likes

Based on what?

(Don’t bother replying. I already know the answer. In case you don’t, here’s a hint. Fill in the missing letters: racis_ _sshole.)

3 Likes

Even if that’s the case, somebody simply having a gun and not doing anything with it is hardly a reason to call police in the first place. Sure, the kid could have been more cooperative. But he was confronted by violent cops when he wasn’t doing anything unlawful in the first place.

2 Likes

Did they? How do you know?

I claim, based on my magic crystal ball, that the officers pulled out their weapons then started screaming “I’m going to kill you! I’m going to kill you!” At which point the black man decided his only hope of survival was to leg it. Prove I’m wrong.

7 Likes

Odds are this will get deleted because I am replying to someone who can’t have a civil conversation, but here it goes.

My comment about consequence of actions was a reply to another poster who brought up a 12 year shot while holding a realistic looking airsoft gun. Not this sword instance.

Well you are mistaken about that. The rule they teach is the 21 foot rule. At that distance someone can close in and stab you before you can react and draw your weapon.

Again I don’t know if the shooting was warranted or not. It certainly requires an investigation and will require more evidence than the video alone.

Training Video illustrating the 21 foot rule:

You won’t stay here long with personal attacks.

When I said something smelled fishy, I meant that I sounds like a good possibility that the cops acted with out justification. Unfortunately you already seem to have a confirmation bias about me, so you assumed the opposite of what I meant.

2 Likes

Nitpick: Mugen is a vagabond, not a ninja or a samurai. So maybe the cops were after him for vagrancy rather than carrying a sword.

4 Likes

Wrong from the start. Carrying a weapon is nowhere near the same thing as brandishing it. Brandishing means to show off your weapon to intimidate people by demonstrating that you are willing to use it. Such as waving your gun around, holding a knife up to somebody, or thrusting a sword around. A sheathed sword on one’s back does not count. Not only was the blade not exposed, it hardly even looked like a weapon. It could have been a wooden kendo sword, an umbrella, a rolled-up poster, or any number of other things.

When one is merely transporting something which may not even be a weapon, police do not need to take them into custody to verify anything. There is no crime.

15 Likes