New York governor Andrew Cuomo resigns

Or even earlier, Zephyr Teachout.

4 Likes

False equiv is false.

9 Likes

There was the blackface scandal from med school, but I think it was Justin Fairfax who is currently fighting sexual assault allegations, not Northam.

11 Likes

Goodbye GIF

8 Likes

Leading Democratic Party members long ago demanded Cuomo go after staff and acquaintances

Wasn’t that the problem in the first place?

4 Likes

That’s what I’ve noticed. Power corrupts people of all political persuasions, but (in the US at least) the left at least tries to hold people accountable for such behavior, while the right has shifted so extreme that that now they double down and support it.

Gary Hart was just 20 years too early. He probably could have beat out Trump if he were politically active today.

5 Likes

Your’re quite right. I was actually thinking of Fairfax, the Lt Governor.

1 Like

PLEASE make LeVar Burton the permanent replacement!

10 Likes

I wouldn’t say Fairfax got a “free pass” either. When the allegations went public he was placed on leave from his law firm, asked to step down from the board of visitors at Duke University’s Sanford School of Public Policy, left his post as chairman of the Democratic Lieutenant Governors Association, and had four of his staffers quit. Then when he ran in the Democratic Primary for Governor in 2021 he came in 4th place with under 4% of the vote even though he’d been one of the best-known names on the ballot. So he’s not exactly basking in the undying support of his fellow Democrats.

10 Likes

Two women are vying for his seat.

Hala Ayala (D)
Winsome Sears (R)

3 Likes

Not sure if wrong thread or greatest comment ever.

12 Likes

He should have resigned but… why is it the democrats have to resign but the republicans can weather any and all scandals?

1 Like

Me Too may not be history, but we see here the same pattern as with Weinstein, where the abuse goes on for year after year while everyone carefully looks the other way.

Then suddenly there is a tipping point, the story saturates the news and all the NY pols and media who were licking Cuomo’s boots a year ago are shocked, shocked, shocked to learn what was happening.

Somehow these powerful abusers need to be brought to heel after one or two cases, not a dozen.

2 Likes

Because government officials fucking up is a feature not a bug as long as libruls are triggered.

2 Likes

Huh? So, why did it stop going on year after year? It didn’t stop “suddenly,” and for no apparent reason.

The ME Too Movement had a LOT to do it Weinstein’s downfall, by emboldening a lot of abused women to finally speak out, because they felt they’dfinally be heard.

I have no doubt that it’s the same with many of those abused by Cuomo; you seem to be leaving out the effects of sustained activism. As a result of it, women feel more and more like their complaints will be taken seriously; they ARE taken more seriously; and abusive men in power are being disempowered and punished more and more often. There’s nothing “sudden” about all of that.

Agreed, but again, thanks to sustained activism, we’re moving ever closer to that happening.

18 Likes

We could maybe start treating women like people and treat what they say seriously… that might help… If we’re taking this seriously now at all, it’s largely due to the work women did to make it happen.

18 Likes

If the democrats didn’t have higher standards then they wouldn’t deserve to win.

8 Likes

This brought a :clown_face: to my face! Good riddance.

2 Likes

I thinks it’s the price we pay for having a conscience and a moral compass. Sometimes it sucks (I really liked having Al Franken in the senate :woman_shrugging:t2:) but overall I think it’s worth it to keep the ship turning in the right direction.

13 Likes

Reminds me of a related phenomenon, that of believing woman when they say they’ve been abused, and those (mostly men) who answer, “What if someone’s falsely accused? Or even worse, convicted”

What you’re reminding me of is someone pointing out that Me Too is effectively fighting a war, and such (incredibly rare) instances are “collateral damage.” A price to be paid as we move, hopefully, toward a better society.

11 Likes