New York’s largest health care provider just fired 1,400 employees who refused Covid shots

Originally published at: New York's largest health care provider just fired 1,400 employees who refused Covid shots | Boing Boing

14 Likes

I can’t believe that these health care workers don’t give a shit about infecting their patients.

Glad that they’re not taking care of me.

50 Likes

I can live with that.

43 Likes

Similar vibe in the UK, care workers of all kinds quitting because they need to be vaccinated.

:woman_shrugging:t3:

29 Likes

Goodbye GIF

28 Likes

“All this is going to lead to is worse care for the patients, and I’m just disgusted by it,” he said.

No, arsehole, worse care ffor the patients occurs when hospital staff deny science on the basis of personal beliefs.

Don’t let the ER door hit your backside on the way out.

43 Likes

You beat me to it.

I was going to say that I was disgusted that any health care employee would think better care came from not being vaccinated.

17 Likes

This number is 2% higher than it ought to be but I imagine it’s still a much lower vaccination avoidance rate than most industries.

If we lose 1 in 50 healthcare workers to keep the rest of the population safe then so be it.

36 Likes

It doesn’t violate shit

15 Likes

“All this is going to lead to is worse care for the patients, and I’m just disgusted by it,”

I think that patients will receive better care by not being infected by unvaccinated staff. The only real result is that these unvaccinated former staff are putting the burden on their former co-workers who will have to pick up the extra shifts.

If you are in a field like healthcare, your chances of finding a healthcare job that doesn’t require vaccination are slim at best. Good riddance to those who would prefer to stand firm on their anti-science beliefs.

28 Likes

Job and benefits vs. a jab. Doesn’t really seem all that difficult of a decision to add another to the list of shots ALREADY required for the job. :man_shrugging:

36 Likes

And for somewhere around 99% of us, that is exactly correct. I suspect in any group this large, there will be a certain number of idiots. Maybe we will have a few less now.

28 Likes

This should have been done months ago, in every health care facility in the nation.

16 Likes

The State of New York says all 650,000 heath care workers must be vaccinated without exception if they want to keep their jobs.

No exception even for workers who are allergic to an ingredient in the vaccine or those with a compromised or depressed immune system? In the latter case perhaps you don’t want those workers interacting with patients (lest they catch something their immune system can’t handle) but maybe let those workers do administrative tasks while masking up and keeping their distance.

1 Like

16 Likes

I have yet to see a mandate that doesn’t include a clause to protect the very, very few people who have a valid medical excuse. Implicit in this journalistic shorthand is the notion that all eligible of 650,000 workers must be vaccinated.

35 Likes

It’s implied that people with actual medical reasons to not be vaccinated are excluded and require a different standard. But, there’s super few of those, miniscule. Way way less than the number getting a doctors note from a chiropractor that says they have some fake medical reason.

There’s also almost nobody who is allergic to an ingredient in all three of the possible options. Between them, they’re enough different that even people with a known allergy to one or two of them are likely to not have an allergy to a all three options. Someone in that extremely rare scenario would have a valid medical reason.

Certainly, the number of people that would hit either of those categories is way less than 2% of their workforce. The rest of that group is just trying to suggest they are part of that group. Like a person concerned they might have an allergic reaction since it’s been in the news even with no allergy history or testing.

19 Likes

On the other bright side, now they’ll have more time to go conduct their own research.

34 Likes

Good.

7 Likes

I wonder how many are going to come crawling back within a week after they realize they need a job. The Washington Post reported last week that a health care system in NC saw over half of their furloughed vaccine refusers got vaccinated pretty quickly.

20 Likes