New York’s largest health care provider just fired 1,400 employees who refused Covid shots

when kids enroll in school they have to get a form filled out by their doctor that gives the dates of all the required vaccinations. Being obligated to get vaccinated to protect your community is routine, unremarkable. Being a fucking crybaby about it when you are an adult is the real shame here.

Good riddance. The destroyed career, and ruined life is your own choice. You deserve it.

23 Likes

If so, I hope they refuse to take them back even if they are vaccinated. This is a golden opportunity for the medical community to root out incompetents who don’t belong in that field.

15 Likes

It’ll surely hit them on the way back in as COVID patients.

13 Likes

This line of reasoning is so infuriatingly stupid to me. Even assuming someone does have the legal right to make a decision that’s not the same as having a reason to make that decision.

If someone intentionally cut their own nuts off with a rusty garden tool and another person asked “gee, why did you do that?” then no one would accept ”because that’s mah FREEDOM!” as a reasonable answer.

20 Likes

Good goddamn riddance. Anti-vaxxers should not be anywhere near the medical professions.

21 Likes

I agree

1 Like

WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS IN THE VACCINE?
The vaccine includes the following ingredients: mRNA, lipids ((4-
hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate), 2 [(polyethylene
glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide, 1,2-Distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine,
and cholesterol), potassium chloride, monobasic potassium phosphate, sodium
chloride, dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate, and sucrose

So much what you said. There could possibly be a more benign ingredient list, but I am not sure how. Hell, fat, salt and sugar is the basis of the junk food industry!! (OK, bad example, not at all benign, but the point holds.)

23 Likes

…as well as those on their crybaby ‘my freedoms!’ stance. People are increasingly under the belief that we are not all in this together. By this, I’m talking larger context, ie, we’re all on this spinning rock circling a star together.

There’s this guy in a science-related group that I’m part of. He’s anti covid vax, which surprised me. When asked why, he doesn’t really give answers, but alludes to something about just not wanting to. That sure smells like some kinda ‘freedom’ thinking, and a crybaby attitude, IMO.

9 Likes

Just because my car has airbags and crumple zones doesn’t mean I don’t wear a seatbelt when I drive.

21 Likes

I kind of wish that more headlines would flip this sort of story, and lead with “98% of health care workers vaccinated.” I feel like all these headlines focusing on the holdouts are, to some extent, normalizing it. Not so much on BoingBoing, because we’re mostly rational here, but in the mainstream press.

Maybe they could start an anti-vaxxer hospital staffed with unvaccinated and treating the unvaccinated. They could bring in Gwyneth Paltrow and Oprah to tell people that they just need to want to be healthy more, and Dr. Mercola to give them supplements, and they can have daily sessions on how to set up your Go Fund Me to cover funeral costs when the inevitable happens.

29 Likes

Please Bury Me™️

26 Likes

I wish that the reporting of these events would change it’s emphasis. To something like, “New York’s largest health care provider successfully retained 98% of its employees after requiring Covid shots”. Instead of shining a light on people like the idiot quoted, how about emphasizing how employers can succeed at both protecting patients/clients/etc. and retaining their employees.

21 Likes

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

13 Likes

My Dear Mr. Trinchino, RN: The CDC says that there is no firm evidence that the antibodies that develop in response to SARS-CoV-2 infection are protective. Why would anyone want a nurse who doesn’t believe in medical science and/or wants to make a “political statement” at the expense of the health of patients? The medical profession is far better with you out of it. Thank you for your service.

16 Likes

Personally, I think people who have medical conditions that preclude them from taking the Covid Vaccines should be given short term medical disability for the duration of the pandemic. It is a medical condition that prevents them from completing their job, so… that’s kind of what we have STD for. They can stay home and stay safe, or they can choose the risk level that is right for them without needing to worry about the money.

But they should not be working in the medical fields right now. To be honest, that should extend to any field which has mandated a 100% vaccination rate.

As for people with sincerely held religious beliefs? I guess it’s time to choose between your job and your beliefs. Sorry, but this isn’t some discriminatory ploy; this is a job requirement and for the safety of your co-workers.

9 Likes

Good. Get rid of the bad apples before they completely rot the barrel.

See? We could do this to cops who murder people.

But healthcare workers don’t have a reputation for going out and killing people for not getting their way.

11 Likes

Turns out they’re not that great at being medical professionals.

They should consider continuing ed.

5 Likes

Here, just for example, is an article with a headline that focuses on percentage of unvaccinated med workers:

18 Likes

Legitimate medically indicated exemptions go without saying.

That should be less than 1 in 100,000 according to FDA guidelines for vaccines.

There are no other exemptions worth even contemplating.

14 Likes

Yeah, giving the “my constitutional right” as a non-reason for why someone wants to do something is just a cop out. They say it because they’re embarrased to say the reason why.

5 Likes