New York’s largest health care provider just fired 1,400 employees who refused Covid shots

Two percentage points. It’s 100% higher than it ought to be.

(Sorry, just looking for that pedant’s badge)

13 Likes

I think the analogy here is that you have crashed your car before, so you know the airbags work but you’re not going to drive more carefully in the future.

8 Likes

Is that just the vaccine, or does it include the carrier (frequently egg based)? My wife normally has a reaction to flu shots & it is the carrier not the vaccine itself. They had her stay an extra half hour after the COVID vaccine to make sure she didn’t have a serious reaction (and if “serious” is life threatening, she didn’t, but if it is “my arm feels like someone punched it for an hour” she did, but generally that is worth a significantly decreased chance of death)

5 Likes

I thought there was, but that it faded fairly quickly, and was never quite as effective as the vaccine response. I think it was fairly recent findings, like September or a little before?

4 Likes

That’s it. (Well, other than purified water, but if you are allergic to water, you have a whole other set of issues!)

13 Likes

Good. Now fire the cops who won’t get vaccinated. Because the overlap between being a selfish arrogant ahole cop and a cop who refuses the vaccine is probably 100%.

16 Likes

id be super curious to know who qualifies as a healthcare worker, and what the refusal per job type is

id imagine the label includes not just doctors and nurses, but receptionists and billing, cleaning staff and maybe cafeteria workers

there’s a lot of different jobs in a hospial, are they all healthcare workers?

8 Likes

Influenza virus grows really well in bird eggs, and we have decades of making the vaccine that way. The egg isn’t so much a “carrier” as a growth medium, and a minute amount of egg protein may remain after even the best purification process.

The COVID vaccines (we’re talking the mRNA ones) are not manufactured with any animal products as far as I know. The lipids that are described in that list are the components of the mixed micelles that are used to contain the bits of mRNA. Basically sooper high-tech soaps. The concept isn’t too far removed from the Palmolive particles that help dissolve grease, just waaaaay more specialized.

12 Likes

All of the clowns that approach everything as, “mah rights” don’t have a clue about their responsibilities.

9 Likes

Is he really a registered nurse, or is that what he told the reporter? It reminds me of when some people I knew got jobs on the production line at a health product company, and told the folks back home they were “chemical engineers.” I’m hoping it’s like this but I’m sure there are dingus RNs out there.

7 Likes

B is probably a Sub-set of A, but I suspect that A Minus B is non-zero.

5 Likes

Ah! I didn’t know that! (FYI I had the non-mRNA one, not for any specific reason, that is just what they had on the first day it was available to my age group/location/whatnot, in retrospect I would rather have had one of the mRNA ones as they seem to be somewhat more effective, but J&J is still a whole lot better then nothing)

7 Likes

Overlook dihydrogen monoxide poisoning at your own peril! /s

17 Likes

Have a friend who breaks out in hives when immersed in cold water. Always fascinating. Obviously it’s the temperature that’s the problem, but cold air doesn’t do it. Odd subsyndrome of cold urticaria. She did remarkably well living in Wisconsin for a while after residency. Might have helped it, actually.

And then I had a patient who listed an allergy to epinephrine. Her reaction? It made her heart race.
Really.

14 Likes

Omfg, that’s hilarious. I have seen that listed as an “allergy” to albuterol as well. I blame whoever prescribed it without explaining what would happen, though.

6 Likes

I am so over caring about these whipped-up adultbabies and their cry of “muh freedoms” when mandated vaccinations are legally established for over a hundred years.

Suck it up buttercups. Don’t want to take a vaccine, then you can exercise your freedom to hit the bricks.

4 Likes

These people are walking away from any chance of ever working in healthcare again. Which is probably for the best. It’s not a good fit for them.

7 Likes

Do they work in a building full of vulnerable sick and injured people? Then they need to be vaccinated or get the hell out.

14 Likes

Actually, the number of people in healthcare who were found to have intentionally harmed their patients is frightening.

3 Likes

Kind of curious how many of the fired healthcare workers were vaccinated and decided to take an easy out. The burnout is real.