New York Times article lionizes Kyle Rittenhouse for his "bravery and service"

He worked as a lifeguard.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Yeah. Whatever. “Factual” while leaving out salient facts.

19 Likes

Just look at his mother’s actions and comments. She drove him to Kenosha and covered for him after the shooting.

9 Likes

Like the people he let bleed to death after he shot them - after inserting himself into a volatile situation he didn’t need to be in literally hoping to shoot someone? Not to mention he has no medical training to begin with?

Ah, the truly important things!

The nerve of these fucking people.

13 Likes

11 Likes

That’s “facism” actually. (Hag!)

8 Likes

Also, Rittenhouse killed more people than Manson did personally

18 Likes

Is that from Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri?!

1 Like

and worked as a “lifeguard at a recreational complex in Pleasant Prairie, Wis.”

I’ve seen this used as a claim that Kyle R. “worked in the community” (where he murdered people.) As someone who literally lives on the border of Pleasant Prairie and Kenosha, I’d like to put an end to that statement right now. The Pleasant Prairie RecPlex is in the very rural edge of the overall area and is at least 5 miles (straight distance) from downtown Kenosha where the protests and murder occurred. There are people who live in Pleasant Prairie that never go into Kenosha.

11 Likes

There’s a good break-down of the issues surrounding this event on Talking Points Memo (behind a paywall or else I’d link.)

A lot of it owes to the problems of open carry activists and self defense laws. Josh Marshall uses the term “murder safari” to describe the event. From the piece (italics mine):

"Self-defense laws exist because we as a society believe you are entitled to defend yourself with what would ordinarily be criminal violence if you face imminent, grave bodily harm to death. If someone breaks into your home and is threatening to kill you you have the right to kill them first. But if you created the dangerous or deadly situation the calculus changes. Or at least it should. Rittenhouse likely broke some laws being there with the gun in the first place. He was under 18 for instance. But the basic argument here is that Rittenhouse wasn’t doing anything wrong by just carrying around an AR-15. Wisconsin’s an open carry state. The inherent aggression and menace of carrying around high caliber weapons, which we’re told is only a problem for squeamish libs, becomes a path for the person carrying the fire arm to themselves feel threatened and decide they need to use the gun.

The aggression carries the seeds of justification within it."

[ETA: Conservatives will bend over backwards to defend Kyle Rittenhouse, but how many of them would really feel safe if some random guy who looked just like him walked into the IHOP with an AR-15 while they were eating breakfast with their family? The act of parading around with a long gun creates a perception of threat that naturally invites counter aggression.]

15 Likes

The Daily podcast version makes it sound like he’ll win his case.

Every version of this makes is sound like he’ll win this case. He’s being set up for a mistrial that means he can’t be retried. :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

I do believe most mistrials can be retried - if the prosecution elects to do so.

If the case was dismissed with prejudice, then it can’t be retried. :confused:

1 Like

Yes, I’m aware…

4 Likes

If only it didn’t seem like everyone involved, defence, judge, and prosecution, are intent on forcing a mistrial with prejudice.

5 Likes

Wanna write for us?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.