DHS sent around an internal memo with talking points that were favorable to Kyle Rittenhouse

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/02/dhs-sent-around-an-internal-memo-with-talking-points-that-were-favorable-to-kyle-rittenhouse.html

7 Likes

He jumped into the tiger cage and kill the tiger and claims it was self defense. He never should have been there in the first place.

12 Likes

Yes indeed, and this reveals they are consciously working to legitimize these redcap bastards in the same way.

23 Likes

The stage continues to be set for the fascist consolidation of power. Be prepared, because they are.

21 Likes

Was this really 37 years ago? Great Dobbs in Dobbstown, it sure feels like it.

11 Likes

FoxNews must have gotten the same memo. On Hannity’s show, Pam Bondi (former AG from Florida) said “(Rittenhouse is) a little boy out there trying to protect his community.”
I’m a bit perplexed as to why the Right has picked this particular incident to create a folk hero.

8 Likes

Because they’d rather see a million Breona Taylors killed in their bed, than one white guy prosecuted for murdering protesters.

25 Likes

Needs more @thomdunn - bit of a lengthy typo, there, Thom. :wink:
(First line of your article.)

3 Likes

Redcaps, in Faerie lore, are murderous little bastards that stain their hats red with the blood of their victims.
Anyone wonder why this is an appropriate nickname for malevolent Trump supporters?
Here endeth your cultural sidelight.

22 Likes

That’s why I used that totally perfect moniker. Murderous bastards indeed!

10 Likes

I guess he’ll do until a true martyr to the cause comes along.

7 Likes

I never realised that the early SA uniforms (the original brown shirts) had what we would now call “western” pockets. Now I wonder about the sartorial history of “western” clothing.

(And no, I won’t even acknowledge Horst Wessel beyond agreeing that this is a similar case where they are desperately searching for a martyr)

5 Likes

I suppose that the pockets on the uniform might have been based on something like Tyrolean-style Volkish fashion. I mean, these guys were big into Lederhosen.

5 Likes

Slight nitpick. This is a description of the origins of the SA, not the SS. The SA were the brownshirt paramilitaries, the SS were created as Hitler’s bodyguard as he didn’t trust the more independent group that weren’t fully under his command.

The eventual result of course was that the SA and their leadership were eventually purged when they were perceived as being a liability .

7 Likes

That’s a good shout but as far as I know (and I’m not from the alpine region but from far enough south in Germany to have some cultural familiarity with these things) the shirts used in these sorts of folk costumes would be rather plain, pocketless affairs and the jackets and waistcoats would have piped flapless pockets.

3 Likes

Only if you take what they say at superficial value, and don’t look too carefully at it.

4 Likes

I’d say the above paragraph describes both the SS and the SA. Remember that SS originally stood for Saalschutz, so they were the thugs that beat up people trying to protest nazi meetings.

3 Likes

The info about the SS is not entirely correct. See this:

History of the SS

August 25 was definitely 37 years ago in Our Pandemic Year where time is a flat circle

6 Likes

SS didn’t stand for Saalschutz, but Schutzstaffel.
It did however replace the Stabswache/Stoßtrupp Adolf Hitler and other voluntary SA units, then commonly called Saalschutz (Hall security) for a job they were doing, beating up people trying to protest Nazi meetings.

The SS did start as a paramilitary group, largely consisting of thugs switching from SA to SS before Himmler, who shaped the SS, even joined them.

It is family history to me, some of my direct ancestors pretty much failed at being human. Unmenschen.