New York's official sandwich

Yeah, see, there’s a rule regarding this. . .

tumblr_373472f8b82175897452febc44afe12c_86785b0b_500

16 Likes

Spent the first 18 years of my life in Queens and never heard of this. I lived through the Dinkins years and it was definitely not a law. I see that this sandwich is only a new invention, so that might explain it.

2 Likes

If it didn’t have pickles that were a disturbing shade of neon green then it wasn’t authentic.

Sounds like Portillos. Their stuff is fine.

1 Like

To me this just sounds like a basic loose-meat sandwich, similar to the famous Maid-Rite sandwich of the American Midwest.

Oh so a cheeseburger sub.

1 Like

Nah it’s chopped beef. Fried on a flat top. Most delis and bodegas don’t stock ground beef, but they do serve burgers.

So it’s common to use the burger patties they have on hand. Big ones go on a hero roll, otherwise it can be a kaiser or burger bun. Even white bread.

It’s a bit closer to a cheese steak made from ground beef.

The beef gets fried and broken up on the griddle, then the cheese is melted into it. It’s usually just seasoned with salt and pepper or adobo.

1 Like

Of course it’s ham, egg and cheese on a kaiser.

Boy, Kenny Shopsin dies and the whole city goes haywire.

3 Likes

What’s it called, the Rudy?

2 Likes

I’ve never even set foot in New York, but my first thought on this would have been a Reuben sandwich, or pastrami on rye.

5 Likes

The spiedie of Upstate, Binghamton specifically, is a better sandwich.

1 Like

Given the awful taste “real New Yorkers” have in pizza, I’m not going to spring for their sandwich recommendation, especially with a description as gross as “chopped cheese.”

Someone didn’t get an invitation.

6 Likes

Steamed Hams are popular upstate, or so I’ve heard.

7 Likes

Me too dude. Me too.

2 Likes

nah, no ham.

2 Likes

i was born and raised in NYC, and i’ve lived here 60 years. never heard of this. so calling bullshit on “official”. it may be locally popular, but thats like calling a pierogi the “official” dumpling of NYC. our universally accepted official foods: pizza. bagels. dirty water hot dogs. end of list.

1 Like

Also want to put in a nod to the black and white cookie, and the reuben as mentioned above.

2 Likes

Ah, it looks like the secret seasoning blend is Lawry’s salt.

That counts; Lawry’s salt belongs on everything.

3 Likes

It is. I went there for work and my colleague asked me what my #1 priority in NYC was.

“Chopped cheese.”

He cracked up.

1 Like