New York's official sandwich

And a knish to go with that dirty water hot dog (although I’m more of a Gray’s Papaya “Recession Special” guy when it comes to NYC frankfurters).

3 Likes

Knish are actually kinda hard to find, particularly from hot dog carts.

Guilliani basically regulated them out of existence during his assault on street vendors.

And I’ve never found Ruebens to be all that common. Proper kosher delis won’t serve them because the cheese means they’re not kosher. Out of the 3 potential documented origin points NYC competes with LA and Omaha Nebraska. It’s more if a general Jewish Deli thing. And oddly the last 10 years Irish pubs.

3 Likes

I’ve regularly been able to find knishes on midtown carts, going right up to my last pre-Covid visit in 2019. They’re probably less available from carts than they once were in other neighbourhoods, though.

When I’m in town I usually stop for a Reuben at Eisenberg’s in the Flatiron district, washed down with an egg cream (add that to the NYC official foods). That great old lunch counter’s fate seems to be up in the air thanks to the pandemic, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they’ll still be there on my next visit.

3 Likes

Nothing says New York to me like pastrami on rye. Every time I would go to NY, my first stop would be to the Carnegie Deli (RIP) for one. Not only was it delicious but even the small size was so massive that would provide sustenance for days.

4 Likes

i was remiss in not including those two tasty delights

1 Like

if you wanted a dog with that nice snap when you bit it, gray’s was the place. 2 dogs and an orange drink special. good times for broke HS kids cutting school.

2 Likes

I would love to see the reaction of a French person eating one of these.

Given the French Taco they may already be familiar.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.