New Zealand Maori leader Rawiri Waititi ejected from parliament chamber for wearing a Maori greenstone pendant instead of a necktie

Back in the early 1990s, I was working a session of the PA House. It was an overdue budget, so instead of adjouring June 30 we were into July, a hot month that year. The chamber was warm, as was the debate.

One of the old-school lawmakers noted as a stickler for the rules, including proper attire, rose to ask the Speaker if it was permissible for “the gentlemen to remove their coats.” The Speaker agreed that comfort was a priority at this point, and male members were allowed to doff their suit coats or sports jackets. It was a lovely exchange.

7 Likes

Sometimes you know in advance that repeatedly punching yourself in the head for ten minutes will be more fun than reading the twitter comments.

11 Likes

HA! Thanks. Wasn’t intended, but it does work well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Anyone that removes neckties from Formal Wear is good in my book.

Damn things have no purpose and look stupid.

4 Likes

I wish the racist jackasses in my country were even capable of embarrassment.

6 Likes

Excellent dude with an excellent tie and an excellent pocket square. They have a uniform; he has style.

I agree. And I like wearing ties, especially with something other than the same old boring half-Windsor knot. But nothing will turn me against an article of clothing faster than making it part of a mandatory uniform. Fuck conformity; it’s invariably a tool of the oppressor.

Bowties

15 Likes

I’m sure one has nothing to do with the other.

After news of the incident spread internationally, embarrassed members of parliament quickly changed the rule without saying anything in the way of an apology.

3 Likes

One of the more memorable events from my university days was my classics prof, forced to wear a tie for a meeting following our class, ranting about the uselessness of the things. His theory was ties are a giant arrow pointing at your crotch saying ‘look what I’ve got!’ Seems about right.

3 Likes

That.
Is.
Not.
True.

He was always welcome to wear the hei tiki.

3 Likes

If he also wore a European necktie.

I get that you’re irritated that he chose to protest the racist rule publicly instead of privately. Why? Pandemic distraction, missed the first vote on the rule, wanted to draw attention to something important to him…doesn’t matter.

What matters is that a stupid colonialist rule came into the public consciousness and got overturned, and that’s a lesson the whole world benefits from (including my own racist ass colonialist country).

9 Likes

Ben Nighthorse Campbell mostly wore a bolo in the US House and Senate without issue and (at least once) wore all his regalia on the Senate floor.

6 Likes

I wonder what they would do with John Fetterman and his shorts?

https://twitter.com/JohnFetterman

Fetterman for Pennsylvania USA Senator!

Brian

1 Like

My grandfather was a renowned surgeon from Texas. Formal wear for him was a bolo tie not all that different from what’s going on here. “Colonial noose” is the best description of a “traditional” necktie I’ve ever seen. But I think the headline could read “…Maori leader… brings an end to necktie requirement in New Zealand parliament.”

I’m falling in love with his tie. Pull all your money out of GameStop. This is the next thing. Trust me.

Here Rawiri Waititi writes about the tie issue in his own words:

Profoundly:

In my maiden speech I quoted our Te Whakatōhea tīpuna Mokomoko, who said “tangohia te taura i taku kakī, kia waiata au i taku waiata” [Take the noose from around my neck so that I may sing my song].

5 Likes

FFS. Mallard isn’t the bad guy here. Mallard doesn’t like ties either, so he made a collaborative effort to get rid of them. That effort failed because, amongst others, Waititi couldn’t be arsed and ignored him.

Well, I did put some dots there to fill in the rest. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Reminds me of my grade 7 teacher. All male teachers at my school had to wear ties for terms 2 and 3. He would wear one into the classroom, remove it and hang it on a hook. On Fridays he would take 5 ties home from the hooks.

6 Likes

For one thing New Zealand exists…

2 Likes

If you wish to join The Bad Seeds you will find that a jacket and collard shirt ‘is required’ but a tie is ‘optional’ … however, if you do wear a tie you will have to stand at the back in photo opportunities.

5 Likes

Is this is why I always feel tired? Because I don’t exist? Because that would explain a lot.

5 Likes

Or does it…