New Zealand Maori leader Rawiri Waititi ejected from parliament chamber for wearing a Maori greenstone pendant instead of a necktie

Until the next big one that is. I shall miss Dave Dobbyn.

1 Like

One should dress to an equivalent standard is all. And this is clearly it. There are military analogs (some overlapping) for every level of dress code up to and including white tie events. As long as a member of a native group or tribe or really any culture is hitting the same mark, I think it’s all good. I mean, were a Native American to win a Nobel Prize, I would think they should totally show up in the fanciest regalia that exists for their tribe.

2 Likes

Friend of a friend. She’s extremely down to earth. Guatemalan-Mayan Rigoberta Menchú.

4 Likes

Thank you!

I totally blanked on her – whenever I think Nobel Prizes, my brain always just thinks of the list of Physics, because my Dad worked for one guy that had won one in the 1960s, and was friends with another guy who won on in the 1980s!

1 Like

Further to this, I suppose, is that there are Cardinals in the Catholic Church who practice the Eastern Rite. Many of the trappings of Orthodoxy, but still recognize the Pope. And they don’t go with the standard Cardinal uniforms when it comes time to elect a pope. Like this fellow, of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church and the Major Archbishop of Trivandrum. He wore something similar to the last Conclave, IIRC. Anyway, it’s all good if you are showing that level of respect – and I know nothing of Maori customs, but this seems on point.

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 5.23.23 PM

1 Like

When’s the last time you saw a geek in a tie?

In 1996 my husband had a couple of interviews at software companies (he’s a coder and architect on deep-in-the-bowels systems). I tried to buy him a tie, because he hadn’t owned one in decades.

He refused, saying, “they won’t believe my geek credentials if I’m in a tie.”

He got offers from both companies. (And one of the interviewers walked in, saw him, said, “oh, good” and whipped off his own tie.)

3 Likes

Sounds like you know a great deal about throwing hissy fits. Exhibit A, your continued effort to blame the victim.

My friend had known her for a long time. After she’d won the Nobel prize, he was invited to a party to celebrate her by people in, let’s just say a higher income bracket. He made a big show of offering her some cash to help her cause or whatever she could use it for. They tried to stop him, saying “that’s not what this is about.” But he knew if they all gave, she’d do something great with it. So he says, “well, in order to pay her, do you want Rigoberta to do the dishes?” Rigoberta laughed.

1 Like

100% correct. I’ve worked in software for 30 years, interviewed at a dozen companies, interviewed hundreds of people for those companies over the years, and honestly cannot remember a single engineer who showed up to the interview wearing a tie. Nor did we expect anyone to. It genuinely would have seemed odd if they did. I would never actually judge someone for that, of course, but many brogrammers would, so your husband was quite right to avoid it.

Ties are on their way out, I think. Only the stodgiest of places are still clinging to them.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.