New Zealand votes to keep British flag in their flag

Most of the ex-confederate states borrowed elements of Confederate flags.

Mississippi:

Florida and Alabama both use an old Spanish Cross flag as it’s base, but some feel it pays Homage to the Confederate Battle Flag with the large X.

Arkansas is a mess, with stars being added through its short history, including one for the CSA. The diamond bar of stars is similar to the battle flag, again.

North Carolina shuffled the colors around from their Confederate state flag.

Louisiana is cool. Texas uses their pre-CSA republic flag. Tennessee I think is ok.

That discussion hasn’t been opened yet, and certainly will not under the current government.

But if a change had gone through, I feel that the issue would likely not be raised again for another generation at least, or a dramatic upheaval in parliamentary process (ie: switch to a Republic).

With this weeks rejection, it’s still not impossible for a following government to have another crack at doing it again. No idea about the likelihood of that yet though.

The proposal was actually nursed for a long time by the NZ Labour Party (Centre-left), and just happened to be implemented by the current NZ National party (Centre-right).

(Please don’t get semantic about those loose left-right labels)

1 Like

Yes, I get that now, seeing the “Black Jack” flag clued me in, it’s like they covered the Union Jack with Maori tattoos. After looking at all those designs for a while yesterday I’ve come around to the koru designs, the plain black/white one is pretty distinctive.

Do you understand the symbolism associated with the Hawaiian flag? Or do you only see the British flag?

1 Like

From an aesthetic point of view the Red Peak design really doesn’t grab me, but then if I see it as an actual flag, and not a computer image, it looks a lot better.

3 Likes

wikipedia says

This original design was modified in 1961 to add the name of the state at the bottom of the flag.

Sounds like Kansans don’t really care about vexillology, and are willing to make a bad flag even worse.

Ah well. It still holds up against this one, but it does so almost by default.

I couldn’t honestly claim to know much about it other that what I gleaned from Wiki last time I was wondering about it.

I read somewhere that is symbolized “Neither British nor Yankee”-- sort of a declaration of neutrality.

“Vector graphics” didn’t exist by that name; but the same conceptual distinction between “stuff you can draw based on a relatively compact collection of shape descriptions” and “full detail pictures” almost certainly did, given the combination of practical applications in craft(if you’ve both quilted and embroidered, you are basically familiar with the distinction between the two) and the fact that rules of geometric construction go right back to Euclid if not earlier, and Cartesian coordinate geometry was a thing.

The distinction in contemporary terms wouldn’t be meaningful for some time to come; but it would be recognizable in earlier guises, at a bare minimum “Flags you can sew together from solid-color pieces” and “Flags that need details printed or otherwise added to them.”

As a non-Kiwi it’s not really my place to judge, but I quite like these:

I guess I’m just really into flags, and I’ve always thought the US flag is kind of gaudy and looks like it was “designed by committee” (which maybe it was.)

3 Likes

Now half of New Zealand hates their current flag. That’s what happens when you give people a choice they didn’t know they had.

2 Likes

Hopefully it won’t ever. The first king of Hawai’i, Kamehameha the Great, commissioned it. It is the native peoples’ pre-colonisation national flag from 1816.
“Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono”, is really pretty awesome for a state motto. It means: “The sovereignty of the land is perpetuated in righteousness.” and was uttered first in 1843 during the flag’s re-raising on occasion of Kamehameha III’s acceptance of the British Crown’s apology for an ‘accidental annexation’, driven mostly by habit. The then national flag was already twenty-seven years old at that time.

5 Likes

That’s a great reply.

Thanks for sharing your viewpoint with this Yank!

One of the interesting parts of Britain’s shift toward abolitionism was the fact that the British Navy would occasionally take, at Prize, slave ships, even when and where Britain was not at war with the countries whose flag the slave ships flew (a necessary requirement of prize jurisdiction). You are at war with France, you can take French ships – but not Dutch ships – at Prize. But the British captains would see Dutch-flagged slave ships, or Portugese, or whatever.

Slave ship owners would seek redress in the Prize Courts claiming, among other things, a lack of jurisdiction. But the British Prize courts were like “fuck jurisdiction, you get nothing” to the slave ships’ owner. The British Captains did not get prize value for the slaves, as they were free once in Great Britain, but they got the value of the ships.

TL;DR - The most progressive abolitionist element in the British Empire was probably the Prize Courts.

4 Likes

Which highlights one of the (many) problems with the process which was used.

The designs submitted were final as submitted - there was no room in the process for refinement of submitted designs.

(and I do think yours is an improvement, but fundamentally it still has that fucking fern and the Southern Cross, both of which are problematical)

1 Like

I really, really wanted a change to the flag…but the one proposed was an aesthetic abomination! So I voted for the old one. They had not one single designer or vexiologist on the flag consideration panel, just appalling.

2 Likes

Room for refinement is fine as long as it’s done before the actual vote, but design by committee (let alone design by democracy) is almost universally disastrous.

If you’re going to leave the final decision to the people, that’s great—but it’s got to be an up or down vote instead of a situation where everybody has a hand in the final layout. Otherwise you end up with things like this:

1 Like

Interesting anecdote on flag design:

Francis Hopkinson of New Jersey designed the United States’ first “Stars and Stripes” flag back in 1777, the modern variation of which is now one of the world’s most recognizable symbols. As payment for this and other work including the seal for the Admiralty Board, the seal for the Treasury Board, Continental currency and the Great Seal of the United States he asked for only “a Quarter Cask of the Public Wine.”

Congress stiffed him.

#Just say no to spec work.

3 Likes

That looks like some primo Subgenius Illuminati shit right there.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.