Next #StarWars movie STAR WARS: ROGUE SQUADRON slated for Christmas 2023, directed by WONDER WOMAN'S Patty Jenkins

I’m perfectly aware of being that guy in this instance, but … I don’t understand how folks can be excited for Star Wars when they announce plans for ten - ten! - releases at once, off the back of some terrible movies and one fairly mediocre show. It’s just so nakedly, cynically mechanical.

1 Like

Yeah, imagine a guy being told he had to spend the last act of an action sci-fi horror movie in his undies; never going to happen.

That is a great film; really working inventively to stretch its budget. The scene in the lift-shaft really had me convinced that Pinback was in danger for his life.

Well, it is called Show Business.

This trailer really worked for me. The reveal of the X-Wing was really nicely timed and handled.

6 Likes

The ratings say Mandalorian ain’t mediocre.

Season 7 of Clone Wars confirms this too.

Yes the sequel trilogy sucked and we all know pretty much why. And it’s also unlikely to appreciate either. It’s actually really sad, because the acting talent and technical work was pretty awesome in those movies. They were just shittily written with a protagonist nobody can really care about because she’s never even moderately in peril and never fails at anything, and only has very minor character development.

But the standalone movies appear to have got pretty good ratings too.

The sequel trilogy isn’t even 1/3 of the star wars canon movies anymore. So why not make stuff that people have been asking for? Like more Kenobi, and more Ahsoka, and more standalone movies.

3 Likes

So why not make stuff that people have been asking for?

Oh from Disney’s perspective it makes 100% sense; they spent the last decade working out the formula with Marvel and they’re going to apply it to Star Wars too, they’d be mad not to.

My issue is from the consumer’s perspective. I called the Mandalorian mediocre because it lasted a few episodes before having to rely on the crutch of references to things we’ve seen a dozen times already: Tie fighters, Stormtroopers, the Empire, X-Wings, Jedi, Boba Fett.

I just don’t see any remotely original or interesting stories being told here, so I don’t understand why people are excited about more. I fully appreciate I’m in the minority though.

3 Likes

Um, maybe it’s because a lot of star wars fans like TIE fighters, storm troopers being cannon fodder, X-Wings, the sinister appeal of imperial remnant factions, X-Wings and Boba Fett.

Although I really am starting to take issue with everyone still calling Ahsoka a jedi all the time. She’s definitely not part of the jedi order by the time of the Mandalorian.

Truth be told, I’d love to see a Darth Bane movie, or a TV show set in the Old Republic, or hell even a show about the Rakata from the POV of humanity.

4 Likes

If Disney really wants to do more mash-ups of jidaigeki, the Old West, and World War II in outer space, again and again, are they really improved by always being set in the same continuity, with more and more baggage every time?

It’s as if instead of “princess movies,” they were doing endless sequels to Snow White, specifically, over and over, and everybody was supposed to clap when they saw the Seven Dwarfs show up again

3 Likes

Is this linked to Rogue One?

one fairly mediocre show

Opinions are good. You have one. Mine is that the Mandalorian is among the best that Star Wars has produced since the original trilogy, with the exception of Rogue One. I love that it’s a side story, love the journey the character is on, love baby Yoda (not Groggu), and loved, loved, LOVED Rosario Dawson as Aksoka.

So yeah, give me more stuff like those. Rogue Squadron and Ahsoka seems to fit the bill. Not as excited about some of the other potential media, but we’ll see how it goes (I’m interesting in Ewan McGregor reprising his Obi-Wan role, but see no value in bringing back Hayden as Darth Vader… literally anyone can be in that suit).

4 Likes

You’re in for a treat!

giphy (35)

8 Likes

I’d actually pay good money to watch this.

10 Likes

There’s an interesting discussion they had over at Redlettermedia on youtube about the Mandalorian and Star Wars in general about what can be considered fan service, and what can be considered the dressing of the world.

No one would complain about Vulcans showing up in a Star Trek media thing, for example, or phasers or the Federation or stuff like that. I think it’s more context based. Are there interesting stories being told with these moving pieces? In the Mandalorian’s case, I think for the most part the answer is yes

3 Likes

In the way that the infamous Rogue Squadron took their name to honor the Rogue One team.

2 Likes

I don’t know about that. In an episode of Rebels where Ashoka went up against Vader, half his mask got jacked up. They then did a wonderful job mixing James Earl Jones and Matt Lanter (Anakin va from clone wars) that gave me straight up chills.

4 Likes

That is a good trailer.

I feel like this might be like Rogue One, where you take more or less a classic war story line, and make it set in Star Wars. Which I am actually totally fine with. Some people criticize the Mandalorian for being too simple of a story, but I say bah. I will take simple and well paced with clear reasons for things happening, over the convoluted mess that the prequels and most of the sequel movies gave us. The elevator pitch of “the perfect fighter pilot movie - in space” sounds great.

Rouge Squadron was a comic in the 90s I read, and there should be a wealth of material to mine for ideas between that and the books. Oh, and the video games, though most of them were reliving things that already happened. I hope it is pre-Skywalker though. IMO we don’t need a younger Luke stand in. Or maybe post Skywalker, but he is out doing his thing somewhere else.

4 Likes

It is a lot at once, but they announced projects in the past that never actually materialized. Or maybe haven’t materialized yet. If the use their Marvel movies as a template, they can space things out with out fatigue.

1 Like

Current retcon is the name of RS comes as paying respect to Rogue One. So it must be post ANH

With that said, could easily be anywhere between leaving Hoth and whenever RS is disbanded (since we don’t see it in the ST)
I’d like to see a recast of Wedge and set it during post Endor period as we deal with remnants of the imperial navy.

5 Likes

it’ll probably be at least as entertaining as Trolls World Tour. So, yes, it will be worth sitting at my computer and pushing a few buttons.

1 Like

I thought I had read that all of the characters were left without much description, and Ridley Scott had men and women read for at least several of the characters.

*sighs

In the original source material, the main character was a dude.

4 Likes

This was my initial thought, when I saw all the icons for the different projects. Then I actually read about each of them here https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2020/12/star-wars-ten-new-shows-say-hello-to-the-new-expanded-universe.html and realized how diverse the talent creating them is, that they’re not all live-action, and some are movies, some are shorts, some are a mini-series. It’s not like there’s going to be a dozen Star Wars shows to watch every week.

It’s a big galaxy, with lots of stories to tell.

3 Likes