Nicaragua continues to be on its bullshit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/21/nicaragua-continues-to-be-on-i.html

1 Like

You are damn right Nicaraguan’s have it bad. The USA have imposed inhumane sanctions to bring down the elected government because they refuse to let US companies exploit the countries huge oil reserves. You are doing them no favors by uncritically reprinting biased Reuters bullshit supporting the USA hegemony.

1 Like

And this is why you don’t elect your former dictators to office again once free elections are held.

5 Likes

The American sanctions don’t change the fact that Ortega is behaving like a tin-pot dictator when it comes to dissent (not all of it U.S.-incited) within the country.

5 Likes

Ortega’s good will as the rightful leader of Nicaragua is way past its sell by date. He was elected in 2006, 12 years ago.

Like every leader who overstays his welcome, he is a bitter opponent of term limits

4 Likes

Yeah, I remember when he seemed like a good dude - maybe even was - but he’s definitely turned rotten.

4 Likes

I have a friend who is going there for a vacation in a few weeks. “Somewhere different” is how he put it. Certainly is.

1 Like

Tell your friend to stick to tourist destinations, and to try not to be out and about during the wee hours of the night.Otherwise, he can end up somewhere “very” different.

2 Likes

Wait… who wants to exploit whose oil reserves?

2 Likes

That’s one side of the story. Rarely people read different reports and accounts of what is actually happening. These conflicts are ALMOST NEVER one sided. Basically, one side loses election for its own failed policies, they ask someone (usually the USA) to act on their behalf, promising access to resources. It’s a cheap investment: for one or two million dollars of weapons they get to destabilize the country. Violence ensues. Then you have the government which in turn responds with worse violence, which is filmed and aired in our media, asking for more intervention.
Is this regime in Nicaragua authoritarian? Yes. Is opposition any better. No.

2 Likes

What oil reserves? Not to say there aren’t shenanigans going on, like in Bolivia, too. But, I’ve never heard that Nicaragua has oil reserves - Venezuela, yes, but not Nicaragua - but, maybe I missed something.

1 Like

None of the recent data I can find suggests any industrial scale reserves, though in theory there’s probably something. UN data only reports something close to 800,000 metric tons of oil in the country in any annual report or to put it in perspective two months worth of refining capacity at a small refinery in northeast Ohio or a week and a half at a large refinery in Texas.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.