Nick Cave: Charles Bukowski is the "bukkake of bad poetry"

Originally published at: Nick Cave: Charles Bukowski is the "bukkake of bad poetry" | Boing Boing

14 Likes
11 Likes
19 Likes

Man, I must have listened to that album on repeat a million times when it came out.

11 Likes

Bukowski has his moments:

7 Likes

He was still an asshole and a misogynist. :woman_shrugging: Be nice if we stopped admiring such folks just cause they can string some words together…

16 Likes

tumblr_n7c0v5RzSd1t1rwd9o1_500

10 Likes

It’s hard sometimes… Miles Davis and Pablo Picasso were also world-class assholes.

5 Likes

Not really. I mean, certainly admire the work if it moves ya, but not the asshole… We can do better.

8 Likes

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

13 Likes

Pro tip: this is what you have a data plan on your cell phone for. :wink:

Yikes, indeed!

10 Likes

Long ago when I was a wee tot taking a modern poetry class in college, our teacher showed us a film about Bukowski. “I have to warn you,” he said, “Charles Bukowski is an asshole.”

13 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

7 Likes

11 Likes

For Bukowski, being an asshole was his whole animating force. There’s no separating it.

12 Likes

A lot people who do like his fiction would admit his poetry is pretty mundane. You could maybe make one good volume of decent stuff compiled from every book he published. He tried and failed and tried again and just printed it all. (Although I’m sure it sounded good to him in his perpetually sloshed state.)

If you don’t like his fiction I understand, but I can enjoy his fiction, probably because it’s so transgressive: viewing the world through the eyes of a really damaged individual, like slowing down to see a car wreck. It’s not Hemingway or Faulkner but it’s. . . something. I never felt like he was glorifying his existence as much as wallowing in what a mess it was (which is another good reason for Cave to dismiss the comparison-- who wants to be likened to a self-described loser?)

6 Likes

Meh… personally, I think the more I age, the less I find that kind of thing to be “transgressive”… At the end of the day, it’s still centering a white man’s perspective, and I don’t find that personally very mind-bending or going against the grain. Even if the guy is the perennial loser, there is lots of works like that from that straight white male perspective. It’s far less common to see that perspective from women or POC or LGBQT+ people. Or to see a really transgressive perspective that lays bare the whole rotten system from below.

YMMV, of course.

11 Likes

Awkward The Office GIF

6 Likes

Finally, someone said it! Thank you.

5 Likes

“bukkake of bad poetry” - good band name

4 Likes