Nikon reportedly moving away from SLRs

Can you use a flash with the viewfinder? It goes in the hot shoe, right?

They may ask for video, and mirrorless with an EVF is quite handy for video.

Cameras without any EVF were really common in the heyday of compact cameras, but they are a minority of current interchangeable lens mirrorless cameras. For example, if you were to stay with Nikon only the new Z30 specifically aimed at video folk doesn’t have one. The others do and their overall form factor is pretty “DSLR-like”.

Yep, the EVF sat in the hotshoe and connected to a digital accessory port right below the shoe. (The body had its own a pop-up flash, though I hardly used it.) Overall it was an awkward thing, and I made sure my next body had one built-in, but one thing I definitely miss is the hinged EVF flipping up 90 degrees, for sort of TLR-style shooting.

I used to shoot as an amateur and then professionally with Canon EF, FTb and T90 FD mount cameras, plus Bronica ETR 645 and Linhof 4x5 view camera occasionally. I sold all of my film gear in about 2005 and my darkroom equipment in 2010.
I had a couple of digital P&S that I hated and bought the Olympus E-M10 Mk.1 when it came out. I don’t have any nostalgia for SLRs or full frame. The results I pull from m43 equipment exceeds the resolution and DR of the film I used to shoot. Just as importantly, built in image stabilization (getting older too quickly) is incredible and the lenses are much more compact than the 24x36 coverage versions. My problem is that I keep buying the longest, widest and fastest lenses made for the m43 format. :man_shrugging:

Canon has plans to follow Nikon? Canon announced last December they were discontinuing DSLR development. Nikon is following Canon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.